Esteemed Contributor

Re: Real greens and wreaths, or fake ones?

Only real here. So many Christmas tree farms here in Northern MI, it's a tradition for me.

My local greenhouse makes beautiful wreaths from soft white pine and I love the look and the fragrance. I can bring in any ribbon or decorations and the girls that work there will create a size and a look that I want. Usually for $50 or so.

I used to buy VHP's and have them shipped but decided to support my local businesses over the holidays. So many haven't recovered since this Great Recession began.

Esteemed Contributor

After so many years of decorating with two live trees, we finally broke down and got artificial ones.  Outside of the high expense of live trees where we live, the mess and clean-up, we like the ability to decorate as early as we want and taking trees down when we want.  Also, no worrying about kitty cat getting into dangerous territory.

We do get a real wreath for the front door and get some real greens to place in two urns in our front yard.  Anything else in the house is artificial.  I love poinsettias, but ours are artificial, as well.  They are highly toxic to kitties, maybe other pets, as well.

Honored Contributor

We use mostly the faux greenery.  I like to bring in  a little of the real evergreens for the wonderful fragrance because there is no spray or candle that can equal it.

Respected Contributor

The only real greenery we do for the holidays is getting a real tree from a farm we cut down ourselves. We used to get fresh balsam wreaths and garland as well but we stopped that due to the expense. I get fake wreaths and garlands and fake trees for outside decorating. 

Honored Contributor

Only real greens for me.  I get wreaths from Costco and decorate them for inside and outside.  I use lots of ribbon inside.  The only "fake" things I have in house are the poinsettias from QVC.  I have many in red and white (I missed them this year - did they sell them?).