Honored Contributor

Re: Question re VPH Glistening Pine Slim Tree

[ Edited ]

@SHOPR wrote:

@Susan Louise, How very nice of you to post the tree pics and also the extra information.  This is very helpful and reinforces for me that I really would like to own Val's glistening tree in multi, either 5 ft or 7 ft, not certain, but probably 5 ft so I can place it on a small table.  

I have been crazy busy yesterday and today, and unfortunately, have not watched CIJ at all.   I plan to catch up on some of the show recordings this coming week.

FWIW I would have no issue at all using different trees in close proximity as you do.  I would definitely mix them. 

In fact, the only reason I prefer the cashmere or frayed tips is because I discovered with my current cashmere tipped tree that multi lights seem glow from within the branches a little brighter than they did in a previous solid green tipped tree I used for many years.  

@SHOPR  I'm glad I was able to help Smiley Happy

I woke up later than I wanted to this morning and missed the 1st hour of Valerie's show. So I went to FB and watched the 1st hour by way of the video she posted.

During the 1st hour of that show they presented the new snow kissed trees. Honestly, there is nothing I like about the new line of trees other than that they are slim. I don't like anything about the lighting...not even the random 'slow motion' twinkle...it's just odd to me.

I don't like the bulbs...they have a frosted look to them (both in the clear & multi) and I prefer the clear glass bulbs. And although the clear have the 'warm white' glow, they are mainly frosted with the coating from the snow which just dulls the appearance for me. Additionally, the multi lights are the LED colored lights which I can tell easily by the glow of the blue lights in the video.

I have never bought prelit trees until Valerie's glistening trees because I am so particular. I would rather take the extra time and string the lights myself with lights we enjoy which are the retro/incandescent lights.

All the fancy Christmas trees coming out now that have a bagillion lights with a zillion functions and a fancy remote, none of them have the particulars we enjoy.

I'll never forget that about 10 years ago I found an awesome light set and bought just 3 for our tree. The following year they were nowhere to be found when we needed a replacement...ugh. There was about 8 functions on the sets and one of the sets just didn't light up anymore the following year. Of the 8 functions on those light sets, only one was perfect with a great twinkling effect...the rest of the various functions were absolutely annoying.

DH tried to fix the set that stopped working and it was a no go. I think after that experience I have become somewhat obsessive with Christmas tree lights...making sure I have plenty of backups of the light sets we enjoy...LOL

I had made several trips over the years to brick & mortar stores to test all the Christmas lights they have...Home Depot, Target, Walmart, etc and came out empty handed every time. Either the lights were LED and/or the various functions would give us a migraine. 

That is another thing which I love about Valerie's glistening trees. Since they have the particular lights we enjoy, if any of the bulbs stop working, we have plenty of bulbs and or light sets to replace them with. 

So, do you think the glistening trees make me happy?  sHa_wiggle.gif.........LOL

I also find that the older I get the more I want to surround myself with more retro/vintage decor during the holidays. Then my interest spiked further when a poster here showed some pics of vintage decor from Glittermoon. Well, from that point on, I was hooked!

Over the past 2-3 years I bought many vintage/antique ornaments, vintage/antique glass bead garlands, vintage bottlebrush trees and several different retro tree toppers so I can switch them out when I want a change.

If you go to Ebay and put in the search: vintage tinsel lighted tree toppers, you'll see quite a wide selection. I got lucky getting a few nice tinsel stars and wreath tree toppers from Etsy too. 

I especially love the various colored tinsel (red/gold/silver/green) wreaths with the candles. For the past couple of years I put up a red wreath in our window and used a silver one on top of our main tree. This year I'm thinking of hanging one or two from the fruit swags on our wall unit.I don't know how it will look, it's just an idea in my head right now.

I also want to try mixing a couple of sets of colored C9 bulb light sets with the clear random twinkle mini lights on our main Christmas tree...but I'll wait to do that next year.

These are the two tree toppers I used last year...the clear one for the tree topper on our main tree and the red one on one of our livingroom windows which was our only 'outdoor' decoration.

P4810869.JPG

P4490050.JPG

Esteemed Contributor

@Susan Louise wrote:

@SHOPR wrote:

@Susan Louise, How very nice of you to post the tree pics and also the extra information.  This is very helpful and reinforces for me that I really would like to own Val's glistening tree in multi, either 5 ft or 7 ft, not certain, but probably 5 ft so I can place it on a small table.  

I have been crazy busy yesterday and today, and unfortunately, have not watched CIJ at all.   I plan to catch up on some of the show recordings this coming week.

FWIW I would have no issue at all using different trees in close proximity as you do.  I would definitely mix them. 

In fact, the only reason I prefer the cashmere or frayed tips is because I discovered with my current cashmere tipped tree that multi lights seem glow from within the branches a little brighter than they did in a previous solid green tipped tree I used for many years.  

@SHOPR  I'm glad I was able to help Smiley Happy

I woke up later than I wanted to this morning and missed the 1st hour of Valerie's show. So I went to FB and watched the 1st hour by way of the video she posted.

During the 1st hour of that show they presented the new snow kissed trees. Honestly, there is nothing I like about the new line of trees other than that they are slim. I don't like anything about the lighting...not even the random 'slow motion' twinkle...it's just odd to me.

I don't like the bulbs...they have a frosted look to them (both in the clear & multi) and I prefer the clear glass bulbs. And although the clear have the 'warm white' glow, they are mainly frosted with the coating from the snow which just dulls the appearance for me. Additionally, the multi lights are the LED colored lights which I can tell easily by the glow of the blue lights in the video.

I have never bought prelit trees until Valerie's glistening trees because I am so particular. I would rather take the extra time and string the lights myself with lights we enjoy which are the retro/incandescent lights.

All the fancy Christmas trees coming out now that have a bagillion lights with a zillion functions and a fancy remote, none of them have the particulars we enjoy.

I'll never forget that about 10 years ago I found an awesome light set and bought just 3 for our tree. The following year they were nowhere to be found when we needed a replacement...ugh. There was about 8 functions on the sets and one of the sets just didn't light up anymore the following year. Of the 8 functions on those light sets, only one was perfect with a great twinkling effect...the rest of the various functions were absolutely annoying.

DH tried to fix the set that stopped working and it was a no go. I think after that experience I have become somewhat obsessive with Christmas tree lights...making sure I have plenty of backups of the light sets we enjoy...LOL

I had made several trips over the years to brick & mortar stores to test all the Christmas lights they have...Home Depot, Target, Walmart, etc and came out empty handed every time. Either the lights were LED and/or the various functions would give us a migraine. 

That is another thing which I love about Valerie's glistening trees. Since they have the particular lights we enjoy, if any of the bulbs stop working, we have plenty of bulbs and or light sets to replace them with. 

So, do you think the glistening trees make me happy?  sHa_wiggle.gif.........LOL

I also find that the older I get the more I want to surround myself with more retro/vintage decor during the holidays. Then my interest spiked further when a poster here showed some pics of vintage decor from Glittermoon. Well, from that point on, I was hooked!

Over the past 2-3 years I bought many vintage/antique ornaments, vintage/antique glass bead garlands, vintage bottlebrush trees and several different retro tree toppers so I can switch them out when I want a change.

If you go to Ebay and put in the search: vintage tinsel lighted tree toppers, you'll see quite a wide selection. I got lucky getting a few nice tinsel stars and wreath tree toppers from Etsy too. 

I especially love the various colored tinsel (red/gold/silver/green) wreaths with the candles. For the past couple of years I put up a red wreath in our window and used a silver one on top of our main tree. This year I'm thinking of hanging one or two from the fruit swags on our wall unit.I don't know how it will look, it's just an idea in my head right now.

I also want to try mixing a couple of sets of colored C9 bulb light sets with the clear random twinkle mini lights on our main Christmas tree...but I'll wait to do that next year.

These are the two tree toppers I used last year...the clear one for the tree topper on our main tree and the red one on one of our livingroom windows which was our only 'outdoor' decoration.

P4810869.JPG

P4490050.JPG

@Susan Louise, I had never seen a tinsel wreath of any kind, certainly not any with candles inside before, until I saw yours.  I remember only the tinsel star tree toppers from my childhood, and the glass finials.  We always had a star.  The wreaths are really cool.  I looked on Ebay and have to say I like your two with the candles inside the best of any I found.  

If (PLEASE) QVC has free shipping again this month, I've decided to order the 5 ft multi glistening tree.  It will fit on top of my old wooden sewing table perfectly, and will just about reach the ceiling.  This way I won't have to rearrange anything in my living room.  I still love the inexpensive Big Lots cashmere tree that I've been using for several years now, but I really do not want to miss out on Valerie's. 

Here is a closeup of my current tree:

cashmere tree.jpg

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SHOPR   That is a lovely pic of your tree with great ornaments and lights! I really love the ornament that is in the center of your pic.

As for a FREE S&H day, I 'think' there is supposed to be one either tomorrow (Black Friday in July) or sometime during the last week of CIJ...don't quote me though. If there isn't, I'd be happy to donate the S&H charges so you don't miss out on the 5' multi glistening tree! I want you to see it's beauty when lit Smiley Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@Susan Louise wrote:

@SHOPR   That is a lovely pic of your tree with great ornaments and lights! I really love the ornament that is in the center of your pic.

As for a FREE S&H day, I 'think' there is supposed to be one either tomorrow (Black Friday in July) or sometime this last CIJ weekend...don't quote me though. If there isn't, I'd be happy to donate the S&H charges so you don't miss out on the 5' multi glistening tree! I want you to see it's beauty when lit Smiley Very Happy

@Susan Louise LOL Hoping and waiting for a small discount via free shipping is my way of justifying this expensive purchase, ya know? 

I'm glad you like my ornaments and lights.  The tree is pre-lit, nothing added by me.  The ornaments are all modern, coming from either JCP.com after-Christmas clearance (the one you mentioned I think came from JCP's past Martha Stewart line) or Target or Dollar Tree over the past 5-10 years.  I got some really good deals.