Valued Contributor

I ordered 2 identical items on different days.  The first one was broken into little pieces.  The second one arrived in perfect condition, 2 days later.  I was very happy with this 2nd purchase, but upset over the one that arrived broken.

I received an email asking me to review this purchase, and I don't know what to do. Since you can only write one review - should I review the one that was broken - or the one that was perfect? Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Honored Contributor

You can write about both in the same review.

I did on one of my purchases.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Yes, you can indeed combine your entire experience in the one review. 

I do hesitate when people give an item a really low rating for arriving broken, because that is often the shippers mishandling and shouldn't reflect negatively on Q. I would address the packaging, if it seemed lacking or if it appeared it was damaged in the manufacturing of the item.

I'd make my review reflect the one that arrived in good condition, with simply a mention of the broken one and what you think the solution for that might be (better packing?).

Valued Contributor

@Mominohio I cannot agree with what you are saying about not reflecting broken items in a review.  I ordered an item for the holidays that was porcelain it was a ballerina on a music stand. It was Lenox and the ballerina actually separated from the stand when it arrived.  It was packaged in more than enough molded Styrofoam and the shipping box and the manufacturer box were very sturdy. I do blame the manufacturer. This was a problem that multiple people complained about.  I did post a review that reflected this.

Honored Contributor

@ajsidney12 wrote:

@Mominohio I cannot agree with what you are saying about not reflecting broken items in a review.  I ordered an item for the holidays that was porcelain it was a ballerina on a music stand. It was Lenox and the ballerina actually separated from the stand when it arrived.  It was packaged in more than enough molded Styrofoam and the shipping box and the manufacturer box were very sturdy. I do blame the manufacturer. This was a problem that multiple people complained about.  I did post a review that reflected this.

I didn't say to not reflect that in the review, but keep it in perspective. OP ordered two. One was perfect and seems she really is happy with the item the other was broken.

All I'm saying is rate the good one for what it is worth, and mention the breakage issue, but don't simply give the item a one star because one arrived broken. It is valuable information to know if the items are substandard or the packaging is lacking, but being specific about it was more what I was suggesting.

Honored Contributor

Perhaps you should review both in one write-up.  Say that one was good, the other was not-so-good.

Honored Contributor

You should not review the item that arrived broken.  That's a customer service issue, not a review.  You cannot speak of the performance of an item that you can't use because it's broken, disregarding the fact that you ordered two of them which has no bearing on the broken one.  You might want to read the Standards for Writing Reviews. 

@ajsidney12  When writing reviews you are describing the performance of the item only.  That's what a review is.  How can you do that with something you can't use? 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Carol08, writing that an item arrived broken is not a review of that item. It's a matter for customer service. 

Please review the item that arrived intact. 

Writing a "review" that an item arrived broken is like writing your husband doesn't like the color. It doesn’t tell your fellow shoppers anything about the item they may also be considering buying. 

I recently received a beauty product that arrived nearly frozen due to the temps outside. I will review the fragrance and effectiveness of that beauty product. If it had arrived leaking or broken I wouldn't be able to review the item until I had a replacement.

Honored Contributor

I agree with @Kachina624.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 where did you find Standards for Writing Reviews? Couldn't find it.  I looked in Getting Started.

I've read excellent posts elsewhere by you and @ChynaBlue regarding writing reviews.