Valued Contributor

Question about Christmas Trees with Power in the Pole

Anyone with a Christmas tree with the power in the pole, can you tell me if you've had problems with the lights, and if so, were you able to fix the problem yourself? My DH & I want to buy one of Bethlehem Lights Shenandoah trees & they have the power in the pole. The 6.5' H218417  tree is  $369.00 + $36.00 S & H. The 7.5' tree  H218418 is $459.00 +$46.00 S & H. We live on a fixed income so either price is a lot for us to pay for a 2nd tree. So, I'd like to find out if having the power in the pole might present a problem that we can't fix. We have an 8'  tree with clear lights but it doesn't have power in the pole.

I'm pretty,but I'm not beautiful.
I sin, but I'm not the devil.
I'm good,but I'm not an angel.
Marilyn Monroe
Honored Contributor

Re: Question about Christmas Trees with Power in the Pole

@SweetSydney I have a Bethlehem Lights tree for 6ish years and have had no problems with it. It is excellent!

I also  have a Santa's Best for 3 years.  The second year I had a connection problem that seemed to be fixed, then last year 2 tiers were wonky and not working.  It has a 5 year warranty and I just received the new one.

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Valued Contributor

@MickD wrote:

@SweetSydney I have a Bethlehem Lights tree for 6ish years and have had no problems with it. It is excellent!

I also  have a Santa's Best for 3 years.  The second year I had a connection problem that seemed to be fixed, then last year 2 tiers were wonky and not working.  It has a 5 year warranty and I just received the new one.

@MickD

Thank you. I'm relieved to find out you haven't had any problems with the lights. I was a bit leery about ordering a Christmas tree with a power pole. My DH & I like the Bethlehem Lights Shenandoah  Christmas tree.
I read a review a customer left about having problems with the lights on her Bethlehem Lights tree, it was still under warranty & they charged her $75.00 to ship it to them. 
Santa's Best sounds like they honor their warranty better.

Marilyn Monroe
Respected Contributor

We bought a 6.5’ pre-lit Balsam Hill tree with a power pole almost 4 years ago after reading glowing reviews. The first year it worked perfectly. It was really nice to just plug each pole into the others and have the lights come to life. The warranty expired after the first year. The second year some of the lights didn’t work, but we were able to cover the dark spots with ornaments. Last year only one section of the lights worked and we had to buy strands of Christmas lights at Home Depot to light our pre-lit tree. We tried checking the fuses and controller lights to no avail. I googled Balsam Hill pre-lit trees to see if anyone else was having similar problems. Apparently, our experience was common after the warranty expired. Actually, we were lucky because we’d gotten our tree on sale. Others had paid well over $1,000 to get a tree whose lights died with the warranty. They told horror stories about customer service reps who didn’t speak English or outright laughed at them when they tried to get satisfaction from Balsam Hill. In addition to checking the customer reviews on qvc.com, google “Complaints about Bethlehem Lights Shenandoah pre-lit trees”. If we’d thought to do this before buying our tree, we wouldn’t have bought it. If you can find a good tree with a reliable power pole, you’ll love the convenience. It’s as easy as 1, 2, 3. 

Honored Contributor

Our tree is a 9 1/2 ft one from Home Depot. WAY cheaper than any from QVC. Anyway - it has the power in the pole - ie: each section plugs in to the section below it. It is going to be 4 years old this year and each year I am saying a prayer as we put it up that all sections will light - so far so good.

I strongly recommend that you look pother places than QVC for a tree as they are very nice trees elsewhere and much less expensive.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Eileen in Virginia wrote:

We bought a 6.5’ pre-lit Balsam Hill tree with a power pole almost 4 years ago after reading glowing reviews. The first year it worked perfectly. It was really nice to just plug each pole into the others and have the lights come to life. The warranty expired after the first year. The second year some of the lights didn’t work, but we were able to cover the dark spots with ornaments. Last year only one section of the lights worked and we had to buy strands of Christmas lights at Home Depot to light our pre-lit tree. We tried checking the fuses and controller lights to no avail. I googled Balsam Hill pre-lit trees to see if anyone else was having similar problems. Apparently, our experience was common after the warranty expired. Actually, we were lucky because we’d gotten our tree on sale. Others had paid well over $1,000 to get a tree whose lights died with the warranty. They told horror stories about customer service reps who didn’t speak English or outright laughed at them when they tried to get satisfaction from Balsam Hill. In addition to checking the customer reviews on qvc.com, google “Complaints about Bethlehem Lights Shenandoah pre-lit trees”. If we’d thought to do this before buying our tree, we wouldn’t have bought it. If you can find a good tree with a reliable power pole, you’ll love the convenience. It’s as easy as 1, 2, 3. 

@Eileen in Virginia
Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I'm really sorry you had such a bad experience with your tree from Balsam Hill. (I checked the BBB & they have so many complaints against them.) My DH & I discussed it last night & decided we didn't want a tree with a power pole. My DH wants a tree that he can replace strings of lights if & when necessary. We have a great store here (American Sales) that sells Christmas trees  & we've decided to buy one from there. They have excellent customer service. I googled "Complaints about Bethlehem  Lights Shenandoah Pre-Lit Trees". I watched the video and it was last years tree & then I watched the video for this years Bethlehem Lights Shenandoah Christmas Tree & they've improved the tree quite a bit. We're still going to buy a tree from American Sales, only because the 7.5' tree is too wide in diameter for our Great room.

Marilyn Monroe
Valued Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Our tree is a 9 1/2 ft one from Home Depot. WAY cheaper than any from QVC. Anyway - it has the power in the pole - ie: each section plugs in to the section below it. It is going to be 4 years old this year and each year I am saying a prayer as we put it up that all sections will light - so far so good.

I strongly recommend that you look pother places than QVC for a tree as they are very nice trees elsewhere and much less expensive.

@151949
My DH & I discussed it last night and decided we wanted to "see" our tree in a store. We have a store here (American Sales) that sells Christmas trees & they have great customer service. I have to agree with you about QVC prices. They're a lot more expensive than trees we can buy locally. We were considering the 7.5' Shenandoah with multi-color lights but the price with shipping added up to $505.00. That's just too expensive.

Marilyn Monroe
Honored Contributor

@SweetSydney wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@151949
My DH & I discussed it last night and decided we wanted to "see" our tree in a store. We have a store here (American Sales) that sells Christmas trees & they have great customer service. I have to agree with you about QVC prices. They're a lot more expensive than trees we can buy locally. We were considering the 7.5' Shenandoah with multi-color lights but the price with shipping added up to $505.00. That's just too expensive.

Our tree is 4 years old but we only paid $119 for it at Home Depot  and it is a full 9 1/2 ft tall and about 6 ft across at the bottom. Home Depot always has beautiful trees.

Valued Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@SweetSydney wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@151949

Our tree is 4 years old but we only paid $119 for it at Home Depot  and it is a full 9 1/2 ft tall and about 6 ft across at the bottom. Home Depot always has beautiful trees.

@151949
I'm really glad I asked about the pole tree because I've been saved from making a very expensive mistake. Our Home Depot doesn't sell trees but American Sales sells beautiful trees for a lot less than QVC. They start putting them on display after Thanksgiving  & we're going there & buying our tree.

Marilyn Monroe
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SweetSydney wrote:

Anyone with a Christmas tree with the power in the pole, can you tell me if you've had problems with the lights, and if so, were you able to fix the problem yourself? My DH & I want to buy one of Bethlehem Lights Shenandoah trees & they have the power in the pole. The 6.5' H218417  tree is  $369.00 + $36.00 S & H. The 7.5' tree  H218418 is $459.00 +$46.00 S & H. We live on a fixed income so either price is a lot for us to pay for a 2nd tree. So, I'd like to find out if having the power in the pole might present a problem that we can't fix. We have an 8'  tree with clear lights but it doesn't have power in the pole.

@SweetSydney

I got my Martha Stewart 7.5 Christmas tree with power in  in the pole, at Home Depot. You can change from multi to white lights and change the setting on the lights from steady to blinking to glisten.  This is going to be my 4th season and I had it on constantly.....

To me Home Depot had the best quality, at the best price.  Now you can spend big bucks at other places thats an individual choice........................

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”