Honored Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

Ladies, if you store decorations in the basement, you won't have any mold problems with a bar of Lever 2000.  Just some info from antiques collectors.

@ECBG 

Thanks for the tip.  Never heard this before.  Where do you put the bar?  Do you only need one?

@FoxxeeI just open the end of the wrapper and put one in each large trash bag with a handmade Santa.

I would put one bar en an enclosed container or area.  Antique vendors often put one in each drawer of a chest.  If I had a chest of drawers in my basement, I'd use a bar per drawer.  They last forever.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Mominohio 

Good for you!  I was "shocked" how fast and organized my holiday decor was put away.🙂🙂

I thought for sure this year as I purged my decor things it was gonna be hard -- donating or trash depending on wear but was the easier than I thought!

Everything is clearly marked and bought a nice wreath storage bag/tree bag.  I now have only 3 bins and tree bag to put in attic and I utilized your idea about using my storage benches for "fragile" things.  Yippee!

I enjoyed the ease of not decorating every area of my house.  Surpringly, it was just perfect!

Respected Contributor

I have a pre lit tree and for the last 3 yrs just light it so pretty haven't put any balls on it because DH doesn't help & DD moved out so who cares I do have stuff around the house & so far they are fine with it. I do put an angel on top but with all the stuff around the house (even do the bathrooms) it's enough. I love to decorate the front door, now have the Valentines out front door no big deal don't know about St. Patty's day but will do Easter just a few things out front. I am going with the motto Less Is More. LOL 

Esteemed Contributor

It snowed a bit this morning, so I put a way my snowmen.

Valentine decorations are now out.  Count down to spring! I'm tired of winter.

Honored Contributor
I still have a four foot topiary-style tree with clear lights in my bedroom. I just like the way it looks. Not sure when I’ll put it away.
Esteemed Contributor

A bit 'red faced'...I just put away my holiday decor this week!!  Smiley Happy   I really like my minimal decor, but just kept putting it off!!  I find the task of putting away decor so tedious!! 

And I just went directly to minimal Easter!!!  Lots of Valerie!!! I usually put something out for Valentine's and St Pat's, but it is too much trouble for such a short 'show' period. Next will be Americana, Fall and then holiday comes around again....

Honored Contributor

@corita wrote:

A bit 'red faced'...I just put away my holiday decor this week!!  Smiley Happy   I really like my minimal decor, but just kept putting it off!!  I find the task of putting away decor so tedious!! 

And I just went directly to minimal Easter!!!  Lots of Valerie!!! I usually put something out for Valentine's and St Pat's, but it is too much trouble for such a short 'show' period. Next will be Americana, Fall and then holiday comes around again....

@corita 

I'm with you on a couple of things. 

I put away my 'holiday' stuff in stages this year, because so much of it is more winter than Christmas. In fact, I just today put away a couple of white poinsettia plants and lanterns that I use on the stairs in the living room. I was so enjoying the elegant look. My dining room I just tore down last week ( I use the term tore down quite lightly, as it took all of 10 minutes) as it was just red candles, VPH holly berry rings and wreath with a few elegant cardinal platters for decor. 

I still have some primitive snow men in the family room, and they will likely stay up till April. 

I don't decorate for Valentine's or St. Patrick's Day either. I don't like the colors in my decor, and I can't see wasting space in storage for pieces that I only want out for a couple of weeks max. I do have a Valentines day basket and two little red and white teddy bears my son bought me when he was little, and I do get that out every year at this time and put it on a corner of the kitchen counter. It always reminds me of what a sweet little boy he was. 

I have just a couple of Easter/bunny type things that I usually get out about a month before the holiday. One small Americana thing for the kitchen, and on to fall! 

Esteemed Contributor

I put away about 2/3 of my snowmen today since it is 60 degrees here in Ohio and they look kind of dumb sitting around....

I left out a couple of small ones and 2 small Alpine trees by the fireplace....

I usually leave them out until St Patty's

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

Ladies, if you store decorations in the basement, you won't have any mold problems with a bar of Lever 2000.  Just some info from antiques collectors.

@ECBG 

I never heard of this??  Wow, if this works --wonderful!!! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

I don't feel quite as bad now after reading some of your posts!  For as long as I have been decorating I have always taken down my tree and decorations on January 2.  This year --  I just decided I wanted to leave things up a bit longer.  Then I got the dreaded flu, so was not up to doing anything!  Last week finally got everything taken down and put away.  Took me 3 days but finally!  I have no space to keep things stored in the designated rooms, have to store it all in the garage! So, its a chore.  I am glad it's done, but I do miss it - the house looks really bare! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin