Honored Contributor

I finally decided I should take down at least part of the holiday decorations this weekend. I've really been in no hurry for a couple of reasons. 

First, the season was so short and I got stuff up so late, I decided to enjoy them longer. 

Second, I have changed a lot of my decor to winter greens, pine cones, cardinal, holly berry and ivy kind of stuff, along with gold and white nutcracker/soldiers, things with gold accents, etc. Not so much in your face Ho Ho Ho or traditional Christmas looking stuff, so I'm not tiring of it so quickly as back in the day of a lot of more traditional holiday things. 

Third, I put up less this year, and everything was much more defined in it's place, fewer surfaces decorated and I've curated a really cohesive look for each area/floor of the house. Part of my frustration with my holiday decor a number of years ago was that while beloved and beautiful to my eye, it was a collection of things acquired over time that really didn't match/coordinate in any way that pleased me anymore.  

And fourth, I put off packing up because it took me a bit longer and more effort to decorate than I anticipated it would (but still a fraction of the time and effort it was just a few years ago), and I just wasn't in the mood to revisit putting it all away and it taking more time than I wanted it to. 

Well, I was pleasantly surprised. I broke down the living room and the kitchen, had it packed up, cleaned, and everything put away (stored for the rest of the year) in those two rooms, in the defined spaces I've set aside for holiday decor (an antique trunk in the living room, a storage bench in the front hall closet floor, and one cabinet in the kitchen), all in less than two hours. 

Holiday decorating had gotten to the point it was taking several days to accomplish. Totes and boxes hauled up and down steps, tons of packing materials to be put back up or down stairs just to be brought out again six weeks later, struggling to find a place for regular decor to be stashed. It had gotten to be much more than I wanted to do. 

Even a couple of years ago, as I started this whole, "store the holiday decor for each room, in that room", with no boxes, and very little wrapping (I lay the things in the storage furniture in layers, heavy at the bottom, layer towels or bubble wrap in between layers, more fragile things at the top), it was still kind of overwhelming. I continued to eliminate holiday decor, become firm in my decisions about certain rooms to no longer decorate at all (the upstairs, where the bedrooms and bathrooms are get no holiday or seasonal decor now), and certain surfaces to no longer decorate even in rooms with decor, and eliminated a lot more things, so the storage areas in each room are not now hard to repack and make things fit quickly and easily. 

I just thought I'd share that the purging slowly and calculatingly is beginning to pay off. I am still able to decorate in a manner I enjoy, and have less stuff to handle and store, and dread the process less than I was just a few years ago. 

I'm letting go of more holiday decor each year, without doing one great big painful purge, and nearing the results I was hoping for. So I guess for those still fighting the holiday decor decisions, finding the way to store most of the stuff right in the room it is used, and fine tuning the style and number of vignettes has done two things for me. It has stopped my holiday decor buying totally. The closest I come to buying holiday decor the last two years is if it is a lantern of some type they are selling during the seasonal shows, that I can use all year. And it has reduced the physical work and amount of time in getting the stuff up and back down again.

It's made holiday decorating exciting and desirable again. 

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio It's good that your system is working for you.  I was late taking my decorations down as we didn't get home until Jan. 8.  I only decorated the main living areas and the master bedroom this year because of the shorter season and our delayed return.  It was nice to get the house back to normal more quickly than in past years, but I missed seeing my garland and some of the other pieces that I normally use.  It sounds like you are finding that balanced place between too much and not enough.

Esteemed Contributor

I still have my Alpine trees and snowmen scattered about.

I also have 2 sets of deer with Valerie's lighted tree branches out too.

It makes the transition from Christmas not so dark and gloomy...LOL

I wish that I had enough room to store things in the room where I put them, but I don't . I did, however, pitch and organize wich makes it easier to drag out things so I can decorate one room at a time.

Super Contributor

I too just began putting things away. in January, took off tree ornaments leaving just berries, birds and pinecones for a winter tree look. like it so much, will do this next year and skip the ornaments. 

I store 'room' things in the room so I don't have to drag things around from main storage closet. 

in January, I also put all santa things away and go with snowmen and winter themes. no screaming red/green at any time. 

each year I slowly purge. that said, every room in my condo gets some winter touches. 

now going full red Valentine mode. hearts, roses, etc. 

I change my deck, front porch and inside for every season/holiday even though its 'just me' here. I enjoy changing things up and have it down to a quick process. 

Esteemed Contributor

My snowmen stuff is still out. 

One more snowstorm (or 2) and I'll be switching to Valentine's day.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio  I agree with you about storing decorations in the rooms they are designated for is the way to go. We started doing that this year with the upstairs bedrooms. I'm always going to have bins in the basement, but we are more organized this year than ever. Also, I am with you to stick with items that can cross over seasons. I will now have a fall/winter designation and also have items that will stay out all year around.

Honored Contributor

Re: Putting away Christmas

[ Edited ]

Ladies, if you store decorations in the basement, you won't have any mold problems with a bar of Lever 2000.  Just some info from antiques collectors.

Respected Contributor

My tree came down last week, but I left a few snowmen themed things out, and my twig "icicle" tree that is battery operated and decorated with glass icicles and frosted pine ones.  Very pretty.  It will be snowing around here into April, so I'm in no big hurry to store them away.

I have just a couple Valentine and St. Patrick's Day decor items....I will put them on one designated tabletop when their time rolls around.  

i have a large, locked storage room in the basement of my apartment building.  I bagged my tree and wreath, and put them down there.  Keep the ornaments and other decor in boxes that I store on Origami shelves in my spare bedroom...much easier than multiple trips to the basement!

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

Ladies, if you store decorations in the basement, you won't have any mold problems with a bar of Lever 2000.  Just some info from antiques collectors.

@ECBG 

Thanks for the tip.  Never heard this before.  Where do you put the bar?  Do you only need one?

Honored Contributor

@Foxxee Antique dealers put one bar in every closed drawer.

I put one in the large garbage bag that covers my 30 inch handmade santas.  I've never lost a single item.