Honored Contributor

Re: Put your Christmas cactus in dark room NOW for blooms.

@Bhvbum 

No, you do not water the cactus when it is in the dark, setting blooms.  

Honored Contributor

I have two christmas cacti, they don't go into the darkat any time but they do bloom it seems whenever they wish. Not only have they bloomed in Decmeber but in the spring and fall. Kinda crazy they're called 'Christmas' Cactus.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

I have two christmas cacti, they don't go into the darkat any time but they do bloom it seems whenever they wish. Not only have they bloomed in Decmeber but in the spring and fall. Kinda crazy they're called 'Christmas' Cactus.

Mine bloomed again in the spring/easter without me trying anything. But much less flowers than at Christmas.

Contributor

I have a Christmas Cactus that is about 100 years old.  It was my grandmothers and then my Mom's and now mine.  I keep it outside as long as possible.  I am in SE PA.  When there is a frost warning, I bring it in at night and then put it back outside early morning.  It loves the cool weather, that's what pushes the buds out.  It also doesn't get direct sunlight where I have it outside.  I usually bring it in for good once the buds get to be a decent size and then the heat inside pushes the flowers out.  It blooms so beautifully.

Esteemed Contributor

Sorry to hear about the loss of your MIL @Happy2BHere   That's a spectacular cactus.

Super Contributor

@GinaV24 wrote:

Sorry to hear about the loss of your MIL @Happy2BHere   That's a spectacular cactus.

Thank you. Unfortunately she fell and broke her hip and was gone a couple days after surgery. She loved her plants (especially her Irises). She was the type of great gardener who could take a tiny cutting and have amazing results. I believe that particular cactus began as a little plant she purchased at the local Publix grocery! Woman Wink