Frequent Contributor

Please share tips for creating a garland to go above front door

I'd like to create a garland to go over our front doors this holiday season, and I'd love to get any tips you have. I've had a small bit of experience, making garlands to go on the mantle, but I've never attempted something this big. We have a brick French Country home, with double front doors under a small stoop, so the garland would be semi-protected from the elements. We live in the deep south, so snowstorms or wild weather is not a threat!  

What material do you suggest for the base?  I'm thinking of using traditional garland with wires to help shape it, but I've also seen grapevine used. Is it a personal preference or does one work better than the other?

Do you assemble all of the pieces on a flat surface or do you hang the greenery and then add your lights, ribbon, etc.?

Do you need to wire each pick and ornament or can you just use the branches to anchor them?  

How do you attach this to your brick?  

Do you disassemble it each year and store separately or do you take it down and store it intact?  

Please share any tips!  Thank you!! 

Respected Contributor

Re: Please share tips for creating a garland to go above front door

Brick Clips!!  You can order them through Amazon or you might be able to find them at Lowes or Home Depot I suppose but not sure what department you would look in.

I would create it in segments, otherwise it would be very unwieldy to hang not to mention heavy.  I would probably do three segments, being the top and each side.

The material would depend on if you have the clearance above the door and want to swag it, or if you need it to run straight across the top.  If you need it to be straight across then I would either use a grapevine base OR you might consider using a curtain rod.  The advantage of the curtain rod would be that you could attach it and hide it well at the back of your garland with green twist ties or using my favorite silicon removable zip-like ties (item H192141 and they're on clearance) then remove it to allow easier storage.  The curtain rod would be sturdier and easier to manage than grapevine which at that width would flex, plus I think the curtain rod wouldn't add as much weight.

I would buy ready-made basic garland and flesh it out with picks and ornaments and maybe even add some real greens for the aroma.

I would add the lights after I hung it.

Respected Contributor

YouTube has wonderful tutorials that I have enjoyed and used over the years.  Here is one by Lisa:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HarOBmPU3bk

Frequent Contributor

I have plenty of room above the doorway, I should have mentioned that. It's an arched entrance.  The heaviness of it is a good point, it's probably better to do most of the assembly once it's hanging.  Thanks for the suggestion of brick clips, I'll check into it!  I appreciate your tips!  

Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the tutorial link, I look forward to checking it out!