Super Contributor

Please remember to shop local

Just a reminder that money spent in our own communities stays in our communities.

During a time when our small businesses are really struggling, I encourage all to spend local, dine local and support local charities.  Most restaurants and small businesses have figured out how to do contactless pickup or deliveries...to keep you and their employees safe.

Small businesses in this country ... 'Mom & Pop shops', if you will... have a long history of supporting their communities...local schools, Church groups,   senior groups, sports teams, parks, the arts.  Let's make an effort to support them now.  Not encouraging anyone to spend more than necessary ...but if you are going to spend, please spend local.

Honored Contributor

Re: Please remember to shop local

Thanks for the reminder, it's so important to support our communities. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

Haven't your towns been promoting this? Mine has since the first opening. Restaurant takeout then it progressed from there. I thought all towns were doing this through FB, word of mouth,etc. Everthing is open in town now and back to business.

Trusted Contributor

This is a great reminder. Thank you. Even branches of larger stores employ lots of local people. I've never appreciated the online resources more than during this pandemic, and I've never appreciated local shops more than now as we are becoming slowly able to shop there.

Honored Contributor

I would, if I could.....but the only local ownerships are gun dealers and motorcycle shops.     I don't need either one.......

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

I would, if I could.....but the only local ownerships are gun dealers and motorcycle shops.     I don't need either one.......

@Desertdi   Oh dear. I'm glad ours are restaurants and bars.

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ    I live out in the "sticks".   There is NOTHING within walking distance.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ    I live out in the "sticks".   There is NOTHING within walking distance.

@Desertdi  Oh, that's hard. We have a 'main street' in town where the stores are. It only about half a mile or a little longer. There are the usual shops but most are the restaurants and bars which we like as we like to eat out.

Town next to us has a gun shop. I'm probably two miles from town.

Honored Contributor

Great advice!  I always support local stores and do as much as I can not to shop on line. I prefer going to stores and always have.  With the pandemic it is difficult  I still go to certain stores but not as I did before. 

Supporting small business is important and necessary.  The local stores do support the community and it's always nice to go to a store where you are greeted by salespeople who know you, make you feel welcome and are always helpful. 

Super Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ  Great point... we have been promoting it since the beginning and as often as possible ... but people are busy... and since everything seems to take more time and effort since COVID, I thought it's always a good reminder. 

Sadly, we here in the suburbs surrounding Chicago have seen a recent significant increase in the numbers of those testing positive for the virus. This has resulted in resurgence mitigations that include no indoor dining at restaurants or bar service beginning tomorrow... outdoor service is allowed for limited hours, for those restaurants able to offer it, but we woke to snow flurries this morning, so even that benefit may be limited. Unfortunately for us, everything isn't open or back to business.

Keeping all those affected by this virus in my thoughts and prayers.