Super Contributor

Re: Please remember to shop local

@Desertdi  Sometimes I dream of living out in 'the sticks'! 😉

Super Contributor

@spiderw  What a great testimonial for shopping local!

Respected Contributor

We have been supporting our local resturants.  Lunch somewhere local every day and dinner 2 x week.  Before they were open for inside dining, we did pick up.

As for the stores, I have been to Home Goods and Penneys.  Havent been to Kohls - dressing rooms not open and you can't try on clothes.  Havent needed anything from there.  Been to Target several times for computer supplies, medicines, etc.  Not much else has remained open and I dont want to go 1/2 hour (not that far) to the larger malls because they are in the city and too much chance of the dratted virus.  

Not really much in the mood for shopping anyway because I have found my outings to be depressing.  No one looking at you or talking to you, strange atmosphere.  Doing my shopping at QVC.

Esteemed Contributor

Please remember the dry cleaners (it's winter!); local pharmacy, grocery store, jeweler, clothing store (men or women will usually do custom tailoring and altering), yarn (100% wool) supply shop, sewing/fabric store, shoe store, hardware store, dealership, bookstore, artists and their galleries, frame shop, favorite photographer, printer, stamp/coin dealer, garden center, furniture store, etc.

It's not just the bars and restaurants that need your support as small and locally-owned businesses. I shop the above places all of the time for myself and gifts or gift certificates. Covid doesn't stop me when I know what is on my list!

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

I support the same places I always have.  The  only place that I no longer go to  is the gym.  Can't risk it  but they do have an on line program and I am considering that.  I have stepped up my exercise at home.  Kind of like that and can do whenever I want.  

Respected Contributor

I cannot help but think that to me, "shopping local" also includes buying American cars!  I am a native Detroiter (although my DH job has taken me to OK for now) so keeping our American car companies thriving is what is most important to me.  I know a lot of foreign car makers are assembled in the US, but the $$$ still goes back to other countries!

SO PLEASE, BUY AMERICAN!!

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Contributor

Always have and always will.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I try to shop local when possible but this Christmas will be gift cards. There aren’t that many local businesses that suit my gift list, and there are too many people shopping without masks in our local shops for me to feel safe browsing for gifts. The small shop owners are afraid to enforce the guidelines. Catch-22.