Respected Contributor

Re: Planning ahead to next Christmas/holiday season

Well, I, for one, am looking ahead because UPS just delivered 4 new Santas to add to my collection. And while cleaning and putting decor away I have to reorganize and decide what to give away. Oy vey!

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

Just wondered if anyone is looking forward, planning, anticipating, dreaming or just questioning what next year's holiday season will look like.

No. I'm not.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I already planned & purchased Christmas gifts for this year, each family with receive a melamine sweater motif tray with a gift card from their favorite deli & my grandkids will get gift cards & money. I think more lockdowns are coming along with sky high taxes & insane policies that will make 2020 look like the good old days....I'm dreading what's ahead. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio   I spent my first Christmas alone, facetimed the young grands as they opened gifts, in touch with DS and 2nd DD and through the laughter and tears we all decided that with the help of God and the creeks don't rise, we will have one heck of a holiday season next year.  

Planning, no, hopeful yes. I work hard to keep my glass half full, not half empty. It's getting harder to do, but I'll keep trying. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio  We are looking forward to all the family gatherings this year, and are planning a 70th birthday party in July for my twin brothers. Thanksgiving and Christmas are going to be splendiferous! My SIL's dad has been in the hospital since before Thanksgiving due to covid. He is finally in rehab and  looks to be at home in two weeks. This whole new year will be a celebration for him, because at one point the hospital staff gave him no hope. I've already started planning for Christmas.

Honored Contributor

I think people have changed, the world has changed, and life will be very very different from now on.  I think we are in for a very long haul for many reasons.  I don't think life will be the same and a lot of us will be disoriented.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I think people have changed, the world has changed, and life will be very very different from now on.  I think we are in for a very long haul for many reasons.  I don't think life will be the same and a lot of us will be disoriented.

@Sooner  I agree with you. I also think those who can honestly move forward 'as if' and aren't merely going through the motions are either very lucky to have that ability or are in some level of denial. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

I'm dreaming of a beautiful Christmas!

2021 Christmas will be wonderful if:

Covid is at bay (managble/livable)

Mom would be 86

Our 3 Grands, Sons & wives and extended families can all be together (for the first time, since 1 new baby 2020)

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Actually, there was much that I enjoyed this Christmas.  Many of the people in our community went all out on Christmas lights, including ourselves.  Every day I saw those lights I saw hope and joy ... which gave me great happiness.  

We did not have a big family celebration, but I have to admit it was delightful to stay at home and not have to dress up, and spend the day with family members I don't see the rest of the year.  And we ate the foods that we enjoy rather than our family's traditional meals.  

And I was home enough to actually enjoy all those Christmas decorations I bought from Valerie.  

That being said ... I hope next year we will be healthier and happier than this Christmas and that I will be able to remember not to get overwhelmed with 'celebrations', but continue to enjoy the simple pleasures again.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio 

I'm looking ahead to many things including spending holidays and special occasions shared with friends & family.

I don't know what 2021 is gonna bring but I'm optimistic.  Although, I was unsure about getting Moderma vaccine (offered at our community for all 65+) I did because spouse health is steadily declining and his pulmonary doctor recommended I take it.  Of course, spouse can't because he has pneumonia but when better pulmonary doctor will administer to him.

As for this holiday I admit it was a different but relaxing -- no stress, no gifting and no travel.  What I enjoyed seeing everyone's homes decorated beautifully - most I've seen in 10 years.  Everyone had the Christmas spirit🎄

Will take things one day at a time and hope 2021 is a better year for everyone! 

Happy New Year!