Honored Contributor

Planning ahead to next Christmas/holiday season

Just wondered if anyone is looking forward, planning, anticipating, dreaming or just questioning what next year's holiday season will look like.

Last year at this time, I was so looking forward to this recent year's holiday season. It fell in such a way (on Friday), that my husband, who isn't allowed any time off between Thanksgiving and Christmas (UPS) was going to get a three day weekend at Christmas and a four day weekend at New Years. My son got two five day weekends during those weeks as well. We thought we would have a wonderful time of gathering and going and doing, and a new baby too. But alas, Covid made it all much less eventful and exciting. 

So are there those out there planning/dreaming for next year, based on all the missed opportunities this year, or is it something that doesn't seem possible yet, until we see where this whole virus thing goes?

I'm frustrated because with a new baby, and an 84 year old mother, I wanted us to be able to gather and be together. Babies don't wait to grow, and at 84, one never really knows what a year will bring in being able to participate with family. 

I heard a lot of people say they were going all out this past Christmas, because they were looking for something to enjoy in the pandemic (I feel it was mostly people with younger kids at home, who had their immediate family all together already, and giving the kids something to keep them excited and occupied since they were missing so much). 

I know there are no real answers for what we face 11 months from now, but I was just wondering if anyone wanted to reflect, or to share what they anticipate, or what they will be doing should we be in a position to actually do more normal things by that time.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Planning ahead to next Christmas/holiday season

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio  Honestly, next years Holiday season is the farthest thing from my mind. I'm focused on keeping my family healthy until we can get the Covid vaccine.

I'm also dealing with anxiety over collateral damage caused by the virus. As well as the current state of the country.

I would hope though that by this time next year things would be better. But who knows.I've learned not to expect to much so I don't get disappointed.

Thank God for my DH,son & DIL. We keep eachother grounded.

Honored Contributor

If we are blessed enough, next year will be like this year and the year before--my husband and I together and healthy.  That's a great Christmas for us. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

@Mominohio  Honestly, next years Holiday season is the farthest thing from my mind. I'm focused on keeping my family healthy until we can get the Covid vaccine.

I'm also dealing with anxiety over collateral damage caused by the virus. As well as the current state of the country.

I would hope though that by this time next year things would be better. But who knows.I've learned not to expect to much so I don't get disappointed.

Thank God for my DH,son & DIL. We keep eachother grounded.

@NicksmomESQ 

I hear you! I honestly don't think that overall, 2021 is going to be better than 2020, probably worse in some ways. I do think if the virus comes under control, that some of the other issues we know are here or coming will be tolerable if we can get back to being with people we haven't been able to, and doing things that seem more normal. Glad you have family, I feel for those that don't, especially with all we have been going through. 

Esteemed Contributor

Last thing I am thinking about right now. Just want to get through January. 

Respected Contributor

H E Double Hockey sticks .. No .....

Honored Contributor

The only thing I have on my mind is the news....and its all bad.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

The only thing I have on my mind is the news....and its all bad.

Exactly why I thougt some of us might be trying to look ahead to much better times.

Honored Contributor

No, today is Christmas Day for my DH and most orthodox Christians.  I have 10 more days, then I can pack up the Christmas clutter  and take it to the basement.

Next Christmas will come too soon for me.  Out of sight, out of mind.  Christmas for me is a holiday for merchants.

After Covid, my family will gather again.  We do not just gather at Christmas time, but many times during the year, so Christmas is not so special for us. I am looking forward until it is safe to do so.

Esteemed Contributor

Christmas next year?    Are you kidding?  Just glad this one is done.