Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I found this while roaming on Pinterest and it seems so basic and yet so pretty.  Not that it's new, of course.  But somehow this picture made it seem like a fresh idea.

This could transition from fall all through winter.

I just collected pine cones the other day and have those TSV microlights from a couple of weeks ago.

Now all I need is to collect one more glass container or maybe even two. I have so many pinecones!  

Is anyone else inspired by natural elements to put together simple items like this?  Although, clearly, anything like shiny ornaments, or acorns, or many other things could be showcased along with microlights and you have instant seasonal or holiday decor. 

Outdoor indoor christmas decor that are simply awesome 24

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Re: Pine cones and microlights

@GingerPeach ...that is how I used my microlights last winter after Christmas...it's a pretty look and inexpensive.

They are so easy to tuck in to arrangements to add a touch of light.

There are so many uses for those little lights, I love them!!

Respected Contributor

I think that is such a neat idea! Simply beautiful!! Thanks for sharing. 😊
Honored Contributor

I have some pine cones that I have sprayed gold.  I use them somewhere each year.  I bought some spray paint to paint some a different shade of gold and also some a purple/burgundy-ish color for harvest decor.   I also plan to spray some magnolia leaves from my tree.   Hope I actually do it!

Honored Contributor

I had a beautiful old bucket of long leaf pine cones next to our front door.  (They're REALLY large).  I had to move it because of our puppy, Shadow.  He's conquering the entire world through his mouth!

Esteemed Contributor

Beautiful!

Trusted Contributor

I once collected a bunch of pine cones.  Put them in the sink and gave them a good washing.  A while later went to see if they were dry, and there were little spiders all in my sink.  Ugh.  Should had washed them outside.  So I now no longer collect pine cones.

I read that they should be baked to kill off any bugs/spiders, but not something I want to do.  That's MY story, @GingerPeach  your pine cones and lights look lovely.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@yellowrose wrote:

I once collected a bunch of pine cones.  Put them in the sink and gave them a good washing.  A while later went to see if they were dry, and there were little spiders all in my sink.  Ugh.  Should had washed them outside.  So I now no longer collect pine cones.

I read that they should be baked to kill off any bugs/spiders, but not something I want to do.  That's MY story, @GingerPeach  your pine cones and lights look lovely.

Indeed, they are from nature so a bit of "living" nature is sure to come along with them. I am aware of the baking idea and have done that before (gosh, pre-internet, I just realized!). Thanks, @yellowrose  It's not really a big deal.  Just put them on a foil-lined baking sheet.  This is after you've soaked them in a vinegar/water bath.  I do the soaking outside in a bucket.

The picture isn't my decor (yet, anyway!).  It's from Pinterest.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Trusted Contributor

thanks @GingerPeach  for the baking tip.  I'm sure you will come up with something just as lovely as the pinterest picture.

I like using those microlights also.  Rather than buy seasonal color candles, I

wrap microlights around the candles.  Right now I have orange colored ones

wrapped around some cream candles.  So many ways to use those little lights.

During football season my blue ones really get used a lot.  (Go Cowboys)  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

i do something similar......

i have a beautiful wooden tray from mudpie with acorn accents in silver.

i add a candle in the middle of the tray and surround the candle by pinecones and potpourri that is fall or holiday scented.

i then add the fairly lights among the pinecones and and potpourri.

it smells good and looks good. Smiley Wink

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein