Honored Contributor

Pine cones and microlights - my own, part 1

Further to the post of the image I had found on Pinterest, here's what I've done so far with the pine cones I found locally.

The vase has microlights, but I think I may just drape lights over and/or near the bowl instead of threading the lights through it. Not sure about the short vase yet.  

Here they are grouped together.  They will be placed somewhere else as soon as I find the right spots.  (The lantern is from amazon.  I placed a Candle Impressions candle inside.)

DSCN0744 (3).JPG

DSCN0742 (2).JPG

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Re: Pine cones and microlights - my own, part 1

@GingerPeach -

You are so inspiring! 

I have lots of pretty fall decorations and even though I may not feel like getting them all out this year, I'm feeling fall like and happy just looking at yours and your excitment about it all.

And to all who post their decorations!

Fall is such a wonderful and refreshing season. My second favorite to winterSmiley Happy

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Thank you so much for those lovely kind words, @on the bay 

I, too, feel so ready for fall.

You should see the stack of "harvest" ribbons I am going to do "something" with (in addition to a big, new bow for my front door wreath).  I love wire-edged ribbon.  What a fabulous invention!

Once pumpkins are available in my area, I'll be getting a tall one, a squat one, and a pot of chrysanthemums, and set those out with the lantern in the picture below so the families of the day care across from me can have something to look at as they come and go.  If it looks as nice in real life as it does in my imagination, I'll post some pics of that, too.

HAPPY FALL, @on the bay  Heart

Honored Contributor

I love wire ribbon too and have several fall ones.

You know this may sound silly, but there have been so many times I have seen porch decorations that have lifted my spirits along the way!

I'm sure the day care and many others will really appreciate your outdoor fall!

If I keep reading all the home decor I may just get out my box and start decorating!

Happy fall y'all! in the south and Happy fall you guys in the north!Smiley Happy

Image result for pictures of fall

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

So very pretty, @GingerPeach, and I like your lantern as well.

Also, what are those interesting 'starburst" metal shapes in the second photo?  Love the contrast of their 'spikiness' with the organic pine cones and smooth glass--   festive!

Super Contributor

@GingerPeach  Just beautiful!  I haven’t felt like doing my fall decorating yet - 95+ degrees each day - but yours may have inspired me!

Happy Fall!

Honored Contributor

I love pine cones!!!

That vase is to die for. Such a unique shape, I love it too!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Those are pretty.

I picked up some outside at the Mall where there are plenty of pinecones.

I dipped mine in scented wax one year. I had to bake them in the oven first to remove any critters.

If you like doing crafts here are a few with pinecones.

They also have bleached pinecones but you can whitewash to get the same effect.

Whitewash pinecones

• pinecones: after collecting some pinecones, dry brush them clean using an old tooth brush, or wash them and let dry. Some pinecones  will close up after they get wet, and open again once they are dry, so plan ahead if you decide to wash them.
  • non-toxic acrylic or craft paint: here’s one of the secrets: DecoArt brand “Buttermilk” paint color  makes the pinecones look like bleached.
  • container to mix paint and dip the pinecones in, and (optional) rubber gloves
  • Mix 1 part water with 1 to 2 parts paint depending on how thick the paint is. Experiment with a couple of pine cones first, you can wash them clean if you don’t like the consistency. I used 1 part water to 2 part paint ratio for this “Buttermilk” acylic paint.
  • Wear gloves ( do what I say, not what I do…) and dip each pinecone in the diluted paint. Keep rotating the pinecone until it’s coated with whitewash in all the nooks and crannies.
  • Lift the pine cone, let the excess paint drip off for 10-20 seconds, and put the pine cone on a sheet of plastic to dry. That’s it!

Coat the edges of the pinecones with glue or mod podge so you can sprinkle with salt, glitter etc. Or you can dab some of the white paint from above on the edges.

farmhouse table decorations with candles and DIY snow covered pine cones & branches in wood tray

Found the info at a piece of rainbow site online. She has all kinds of neat crafts on her site.

You could even do scented pinecones.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

So very pretty, @GingerPeach, and I like your lantern as well.

Also, what are those interesting 'starburst" metal shapes in the second photo?  Love the contrast of their 'spikiness' with the organic pine cones and smooth glass--   festive!

@Oznell 

I found those spikey decorations at Home Goods last year.  I'd seen something similar in a magazine and really liked the look.

Spiked sphere is one name for them.

Image result for spike decor sphere

Honored Contributor

Thanks, @Nightowlz 

I bet yours are pretty.  I like the natural look myself.

I first gave mine a bath in vinegar and water, and then baked them for about an hour at 200 degrees, then let them dry the rest of the way on their own.