Esteemed Contributor

@lucymo, Valerie offered a bunny holding a small lantern that really tempted me.  It could be used outdoors as well.  It would look so adorable near an entry door.  There were several other things that I liked, but I resisted all of it.  

Respected Contributor

@SHOPR So sorry to hear about the poison ivy.  Yikes, that must be uncomfortable.  

Honored Contributor

@SHOPR  Oh, my goodness, Poison Ivy, horrible way to welcome spring.  I have never been bothered by that but I've seen people with it.  I have fairly dark skin coloring so maybe it doesn't like that.

When we lived in the south I loved to see all of the blooming shrubs and trees in bloom.  Here the Dogwood, Redbud, Azaleas and others will be in full bloom shortly.  My Weeping Cherry is always beautiful in spring.

Well, hope you have some good anti itch meds and that it clears up soon.  Sorry you're having to suffer through this.

Honored Contributor

@SHOPR wrote:

@lucymo, Valerie offered a bunny holding a small lantern that really tempted me.  It could be used outdoors as well.  It would look so adorable near an entry door.  There were several other things that I liked, but I resisted all of it.  

@SHOPR  Did you se the picture that I posed of a bunny with lantern at Pier1?  It looks like Valeries, for $31+.

Honored Contributor

@SHOPR wrote:

@lucymo, Again, it's good to have you back, even if for a short while every now and then.

Irises are blooming right now.  What I'm really enjoying, though, is looking at all the pear and dogwood trees in full bloom, in yards and in wild areas.  Also, there is so much green everywhere I look, and so many shades of green.

It truly is a beautiful time of year, if only there wasn't such a thing as spring allergies or poison ivy!  I have the worst case I've ever had on my arms.  I never saw it, but I was digging up some huge smilax/greenbrier roots, and must've come in contact with it somehow. So for every season, we must take the good with the bad I guess.

@SHOPR  So sorry about the Poison Ivy.  I have many bad cases of Poison Oak, everywhere on my body, even my eye lids.  I learned a treatment the last time I had it.  Run hot water, as hot as you can stand, over the infected areas, and this stops the itching for several hours.  It saved me, I can tell you, and what a relief to have a few hours with no itching, and when it began again, back to the hot water I went.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Paging lucymo

[ Edited ]

@mousiegirl wrote:

@SHOPR wrote:

@lucymo, Again, it's good to have you back, even if for a short while every now and then.

Irises are blooming right now.  What I'm really enjoying, though, is looking at all the pear and dogwood trees in full bloom, in yards and in wild areas.  Also, there is so much green everywhere I look, and so many shades of green.

It truly is a beautiful time of year, if only there wasn't such a thing as spring allergies or poison ivy!  I have the worst case I've ever had on my arms.  I never saw it, but I was digging up some huge smilax/greenbrier roots, and must've come in contact with it somehow. So for every season, we must take the good with the bad I guess.

@SHOPR  So sorry about the Poison Ivy.  I have many bad cases of Poison Oak, everywhere on my body, even my eye lids.  I learned a treatment the last time I had it.  Run hot water, as hot as you can stand, over the infected areas, and this stops the itching for several hours.  It saved me, I can tell you, and what a relief to have a few hours with no itching, and when it began again, back to the hot water I went.

@mousiegirl,  Oh that sounds really terrible. Ouch! I assume mine is poison ivy since it is always showing up somewhere in the yard eventually, but I haven't seen it yet.  I need to better familiarize myself with poison oak and sumac, too, just to be safer.  I think whatever got me was underground if that's possible,  because I was handling lots of roots that I would dig and retrieve.

Thank you for that advice to use hot water.  I read that online but was too chicken to try it because of all the raw skin and blisters that I had by the time I read that tip.  Believe me, I will definitely do the hot water thing if there is a next time.  

I want to also try Tecnu brand spray because it has good reviews, but none of the stores here have it.  None of the remedies so far help much at all with the constant itching.  Now that it is finally looking better, I will try the hot water.  I did buy some Tecnu cleanser to wash with in the future.  

I will look for the rabbit you posted.  I've missed a lot of posts that I need to catch up on from my computer.  I'm so slow trying to type on a phone or tablet. 

Honored Contributor

@SHOPR wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@SHOPR wrote:

@mousiegirl,  Oh that sounds really terrible. Ouch! I assume mine is poison ivy since it is always showing up somewhere in the yard eventually, but I haven't seen it yet.  I need to better familiarize myself with poison oak and sumac, too, just to be safer.  I think whatever got me was underground if that's possible,  because I was handling lots of roots that I would dig and retrieve.

Thank you for that advice to use hot water.  I read that online but was too chicken to try it because of all the raw skin and blisters that I had by the time I read that tip.  Believe me, I will definitely do the hot water thing if there is a next time.  

I want to also try Tecnu brand spray because it has good reviews, but none of the stores here have it.  None of the remedies so far help much at all with the constant itching.  Now that it is finally looking better, I will try the hot water.  I did buy some Tecnu cleanser to wash with in the future.  

I will look for the rabbit you posted.  I've missed a lot of posts that I need to catch up on from my computer.  I'm so slow trying to type on a phone or tablet. 

@SHOPR The hot water is great for the blisters, I was covered, oozing, swollen, horrible.  By not scratching, healing occurs sooner. Smiley Happy

DH plasters himself with Tecnu if he knows he may encounter poison oak, then takes a shower immediately after gardening.

Esteemed Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@SHOPR wrote:

@SHOPR The hot water is great for the blisters, I was covered, oozing, swollen, horrible.  By not scratching, healing occurs sooner. Smiley Happy

DH plasters himself with Tecnu if he knows he may encounter poison oak, then takes a shower immediately after gardening.

@mousiegirl, I've been using the really hot water and I have noticed that the itching subsides for a while.  Thanks again for that tip, because if/when I have this issue again, I will definitely be using hot water from the start. 

Which Tecnu product does your husband apply before gardening?  Is it the original outdoor skin cleanser?  There is also a scrub product, wipes, and a spray.  I'm about to place a big order for some needed things and it would help me to know which one he uses.  As I said before, I did buy the original cleanser in a 12 fl oz bottle, assuming I'd use it post-gardening, but if your husband applies it to his exposed skin prior to gardening, then I could do the same for a little extra security. 

Image result for tecnu original outdoor skin cleanser

Above is what I have.  Below is the scrub:

Image result for tecnu scrub

Honored Contributor

@SHOPR wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@SHOPR wrote:

@mousiegirl, I've been using the really hot water and I have noticed that the itching subsides for a while.  Thanks again for that tip, because if/when I have this issue again, I will definitely be using hot water from the start. 

Which Tecnu product does your husband apply before gardening?  Is it the original outdoor skin cleanser?  There is also a scrub product, wipes, and a spray.  I'm about to place a big order for some needed things and it would help me to know which one he uses.  As I said before, I did buy the original cleanser in a 12 fl oz bottle, assuming I'd use it post-gardening, but if your husband applies it to his exposed skin prior to gardening, then I could do the same for a little extra security. 

Image result for tecnu original outdoor skin cleanser

Above is what I have.  Below is the scrub:

Image result for tecnu scrub

@SHOPR  He uses the first one before going outside and in the shower.

Esteemed Contributor

@mousiegirl, Thank you!