Honored Contributor

Jim Shore 19th Annual Heartwood Creek Easter Basket - H341907

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

Alrhough I have collected much stuff over the years, I only have a few Jim Shore pieces.

However, over the past year or so, I collected five of Jim’s Santa’s, each representing a different country.  One is quite large, but the others are smaller and perfect for displaying on a fireplace mantel.  I bought them all on eBay, one at a time, as I searched them out.  The prices were very reasonable.

And the workmanship is outstanding.  As they reflect the blend of their parents’ national backgrounds, I think there is a chance one of our children may want them someday.

Super Contributor

I did get the Easter gnome as my daughter likes gnomes and I got me one also to display on my tier tray.

Honored Contributor

@Cathyshopper   I tried to sell the collectibles at a neighborhood yard sale....not one was sold.  The prices were really low too.  I just wanted them gone.

Then, I gave them to the children who were fascinated by them for free, as many as they wanted.  Parents would not allow the children to take them, or maybe they allowed them to take just one.

My sister and I packed them up and took them to Community Aid where we were turned away.  We tried the Salvation Army and Goodwill.  They didn't want them either.  My sister listed them on Facebook Marketplace with other things for free.

Almost all the free stuff was taken, but not the collectibles.  All were in original boxes and in new condition.

There were Hummels, Jim Shore, Lenox, Christopher Radko, Beyers Dolls, Franklin Mint and many other famous items. There were tons of Christmas and Easter items.

I had a whole house to clear out.  Sadly, not only does this stuff not sell, you can't even give it away.

I have a few pieces of collectible items that I enjoy, but not many.  For some people buying this stuff gets out of hand.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie  Very strange!  It's like these things are toxic. I guess that, for most people, less is more.

Esteemed Contributor

I have a few pieces also but I won't purchase anymore.  Though they are or at least were made well, I worry about the quality staying the same as we are sadly paying more and more.  ie: VPH line, it's just not worth the $$ anymore for junk made in china and that's where his line is made too.

Esteemed Contributor

If anyone is seeking to get rid of quality seasonal items, you may consider donating them to a nursing home, assisted living, etc. facility.

Many of those places like to decorate for the holidays to brighten the lives of the residents there.  It does cheer them up, along with little parties to celebrate.

Respected Contributor

Nobody should ever purchase "collectibles" with the idea that they have any value or can be resold for profit.  The same goes for things like china, toys, furniture, etc. Even designer name purses are a silly fad. Styles and tastes constantly change. 

I know people who bought tons of Beanie Babies thinking they would make a fortune. Just why?  They are toys to be played with.  I played with all my Barbies when young, and then my mother passed them along to other relatives.  I never thought to keep them in the box untouched.

In the 50's people liked to collect lots of salt and pepper shakers.  I would see them for sale in antique stores everywhere.  Yes, they are cute, but they were made to be used.  

Royal Doulton, Lladro, Hummel, Wedgwood,  -- I have samples of all of those hand-painted figurines in my display case as well.  I bought them because they gave me pleasure--NOT to make a profit.  

I have no Jim Shore, because what is sold to us is just a machine-made resin copy with zero value, although I do admit they are cute.

The saddest thing is when people sell their grandmother's beautiful and elaborate silver flatware sets to be melted down.  All of the beauty and workmanship is lost forever.

Many collectibles can be found and purchased at lower prices on secondary markets.  if you really like/want something newly released, just wait a while and the price will go down.

Respected Contributor

My mother collected Hummel bells.  Not for profit, because she loved them.  Original first in a series was 100’s in the seventies.  When she passed, none of us wanted them.  My dad gave them I believe to Goodwill.  

For whatever reason, she bought beanie babies thinking they would be valuable.  What?  No one would take them.  Boxed, bagged, never opened.  Hospitals, police departments, daycares, etc.  My dad ended giving some in trick or treat bags to the very young trick or treaters.  The kids were thrilled.  It made me to never want to collect anything.  

I made the mistake ONCE of saying a liked a snowman.  All of a sudden people were gifting me snowmen figurines.  One or two, ok., not 40 of them.  Stop!   I got rid of them.  I kept two!