Honored Contributor

Re: One of the great mysteries of life

@gardenman 

Lucky you!  You have it all taken down and put away!  Dragging out all the boxes and sorting it all out and decorating is hard work, but at least once you get it done, it's a big accomplishment and makes the house look so cheerful!  It usually does take me about 3 days to do it. But when you have to take it all down and put it away, I find it depressing and the house looks so drab!  It does usually take me the better part of a day to take everything down, as I have to keep resting and this also involves a bunch of trips up and down stairs!  I never take things down until about the middle of January.  We keep the tree lights on and the ouside lights on as well.  Trying to keep the spirt going for as long as possible!  It's a long, cold, dark winter!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@gardenman : Totally understand and agree. I have mobility issues and very slow. It took me almost two weeks to decorate my family room. The Saturday after Christmas a total of 7 hours with a lot of breaks to take everything down and clean up. I have a three foot Christmas tree and decided to leave it decorated and put it in a large garage bag for next year 😀.

Esteemed Contributor

I put it up slowly and take it down slowly......I leave some things up as "winter decor"....deer...snowmen white lights on Alpine trees...

Honored Contributor

I took the tree down yesterday and cleaned out my fridge of all junk good!...feels SO good to have that done!

I have decided to keep some winter holiday decorations up that don't scream Christmas for part of the winter...I like snowmen and added lights.

DH will do the outside lights this weekend.

Honored Contributor

I took down my outside lights.....batteries just went out in one of the garlands so good time to do it....  I will take my inside down January 6th.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

I am glad to read that some people aren’t taking their decor down yet. I always feel like I’m the last one to do so. I dread putting it away. I have to be in the mood.

I really enjoy looking at my Christmas decorations. Makes me happy. I’ve especially enjoyed having my slim tree right in the family room where I can enjoy it every day. Filled with my favorite ornaments and precious memories.
Honored Contributor

This year my outside things were easy and inside was even easier!

I only put out a ceramic tree, snowmen, and a few other things I had without going in attic.

Heres the opposite: mine took longer to put away! Why?  I keep all larger pieces in my closet and smaller fragile things in underbed storage containers.  I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to pack the boxes -- nothing was fitting right🤷‍♀️

Then, went thru the boxes again rearranging.  Finally, realized these were smaller boxes than I started with. (I bought different ones because new bed frame is lower). DUH!!

After I thought I put everything away, I found another big storage box with extra things -- went thru it - reorganized and purged.  Now I have 1 more underbed box.

That in mind, I didn't bring anything down from attic (4 large containers) now wondering why I need those things.  In addition, 2 large containers in garage with 1) full of VPH battery style trees😳 and 2) Linens, kitchen dishes and serving pieces.

I have no idea why I have all those trees -- they've multiplied over the years.  I didn't use any -- I think I'm going to sell most of them.

Perhaps, next year when the house remodel is complete I'll feel differently but right now "I was happy to have just a few things displayed".

One thing I'm wanting for next year is a 9' tree I was too late for the after sales.  But, now that I've sold most of the excess furniture in living area I have a place for it👏🏻👏🏻😃😃

Happy New Year everyone ...next holiday Valentine's day have no idea what's in those boxes,should be like christmas opening them😉

Respected Contributor

We took everything down this past Saturday.  I only decorate my formal dining room table and family room fireplace area.  Put up 2 trees, a 12 foot that we just put a star on top and a 7 foot in formal living room in front of the window.  The 7 foot tree takes a long time to decorate and undecorate because I put a lot on and do it myself.  My husband takes care of the outside.  I really wish we would scale back on the outside.  I'm happy with just some lighting on the bushes and garland and wreaths on the front door.  My husband insists on putting out a nearly 6 foot Santa, nutcrackers, an old fashion Santa in his sleigh with reindeer and 2 more santas and 2 snowman.  It's too much.  Everything goes into storage containers which he carries up 16 steps to another pull out ladder with steps into the attic.  Getting too old for this.

Honored Contributor

@crazycockermom wrote:
I am glad to read that some people aren’t taking their decor down yet. I always feel like I’m the last one to do so. I dread putting it away. I have to be in the mood.

I really enjoy looking at my Christmas decorations. Makes me happy. I’ve especially enjoyed having my slim tree right in the family room where I can enjoy it every day. Filled with my favorite ornaments and precious memories.

@crazycockermom 

I feel exactly like you do. I love looking at my decor once it is up, I really don't like taking it down and putting it up, all the work and time involved, so I tend to wait till mid January before I get it taken back down. 

I just don't see the rush in erasing the holiday, as the season is still 'real' through Jan 6th. I think that my liking to leave things up a couple of weeks into the New Year has to do with back in the day when my kid was little. I used to like to wait till he was back in school, and I could get some peace and quite after all the month long holiday hoopla and frenzy, to quietly enjoy the beauty of it all, alone. LOL

Respected Contributor

I still have my tree up, but spent some time yesterday and today putting everything else away.

Will probably take the tree down this weekend.  I am still enjoying it in the evenings!