Honored Contributor

Re: Ok posters -- where's your Easter/Spring decor pics??🌷🐇🐰

@homedecor1 wrote:

t@mousiegirl 

They mate & birth from Jan - early april per the wildlife officer.

We trapped 1 which they think was father or friend😉. Then we trapped the mother -- the trapper said that was definitely her.  and the babies are taken to a sanctuary for wildlife preserve.

They have raccoon mommas  take to "care" for the abandoned babies.  they say the mother won't take care of them once there handled😮.  So the babies got a new mommie!

4C4CA01F-8758-48FE-ACCE-3FAE2BB763CB.jpegmy trapper was kidding me today if I wanted to go over & visit!  NO THANKS😳😳😳

@homedecor1   Poor Mama raccoon. 

We have everything around here, very woodsy with a creek across the road, but so far, nothing has entered except rats.  I was tortured about the company putting out bait, but had no choice in the matter, they were in the storeroom and there probably would have been more to come.  The junior rats have the cutest faces, have seen them outside.  They destroyed a huge area of Junipers so we had to have them cut down, thus also eliminating cover for them to build nests.

I saw a junior in a wood pile when I was moving it, so we have to be mindful all over the property.  A former neighbor left a car in his driveway that he was restoring, with the windows open, and before long, they moved in and destroyed a lot of it.

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

t@mousiegirl 

They mate & birth from Jan - early april per the wildlife officer.

We trapped 1 which they think was father or friend😉. Then we trapped the mother -- the trapper said that was definitely her.  and the babies are taken to a sanctuary for wildlife preserve.

They have raccoon mommas  take to "care" for the abandoned babies.  they say the mother won't take care of them once there handled😮.  So the babies got a new mommie!

4C4CA01F-8758-48FE-ACCE-3FAE2BB763CB.jpegmy trapper was kidding me today if I wanted to go over & visit!  NO THANKS😳😳😳

@homedecor1   If the mom raccoon won't take care of babies that have been handled, why would another raccoon take care of them?

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl 

I have no idea about how "nature" works as mommas.  All I know is they took the babies to a sanctuary and the trapper told us this raccoon had "lost" her babies & would be the new momma. (Perhaps he was kidding but they do this for a living & are wildlife biologists - so I did believe him).

Honestly, I'm glad they didn't die up there and they have a new home vs mine!