Honored Contributor

I'm wondering about decorating, non-electrically for outside. Just started thinking about it this morning. Guess I need an all-weather wreath. I love lights, but it's harder to put those up now for us. That's why I say "non-electrical".

I'm not into the front yard blowups either. So...........guess I have a new search. Any ideas?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Ohhhhhh just saw this!!!

Do you have a tree in the front?  I think it's cool to hang big, oversized ball ornaments on a deciduous tree.  Adorn the tops of the balls with artificial holly sprigs or similar, tie ribbon with metallic thread or glitter, on the ornaments - when the winter sun shines on the ribbon it's really pretty.

You could consider a single spotlight shining on your wreath.    Do it up big and make it a focal point.  Not hard to do if you have an outlet on the house.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

I'm not sure if you'd like this look, but there are outdoor twig and vine deer that are sold at various places (they can be pretty pricey).  Some of them are designed in standing or leaping poses.  Or perhaps an outdoor sleigh, or garland that can go up a railing or along a fence, or down columns -- decorated with very large ornaments or wire ribbon.  Just a few thoughts.

Valued Contributor

I put a fresh wreath on my door. That's it for this year. 

No more for my husband to hang lights.  He might put this out since it doesn't use a ladder. Turn tomato cages upside down and string lights around each. Looks like Christmas trees. He has battery lights and solar lights to use.

Respected Contributor

I bought inexpensive unbreakable ornaments and made bows out of all weather ribbon and decorated my front shrubbery.  I love lighting everything up, but I also want my yard to look festive during the day.

I also bought the Plow & Hearth sleigh last year and filled it with fresh greens and some of those Kringle Express gift bags just stuffed with tissue paper.

If you have low voltage lighting in your front yard, you can buy colored cellophane wrap and loosely wrap each lamp head with the cellophane, using a twist tie to attach it to the post beneath the lamp and then a quick little bow.  I did that a few years ago.  Don't think it would work with solar lights though.

Another idea - do you have any outdoor lamps on the side of your home?  You can place simple wreaths actually over the lamps.

Esteemed Contributor

If you have a front porch light or lights, put a red or green bulb in it (or them).

Happy decorating!

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

If you have a front porch light or lights, put a red or green bulb in it (or them).

Happy decorating!

That's what I do with the lights on the garage.

I also string a couple strands of battery operated lights inside the Windows that face the front of the house.  They look like they are outside.  So easy to do and it's not cold.  I hang them whenever I have time in November and turn them on after thanksgiving.  

Respected Contributor

When my children were young, we always went all out decorating the outside.  Now that the children are grown, I've taken the backseat approach.  I've invested in battery operated taper candles with timers for each window in my house.  I also add a pretty lit holiday wreath (battery operated and on a timer as well) to my front door.  It's very pretty and festive and I leave it all up to the batteries and timers.  Works for me! 

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Esteemed Contributor

I see those window candles in each window, a wreath on the door and a spotlight that shines on the door....very simple...but elegant

Honored Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

I see those window candles in each window, a wreath on the door and a spotlight that shines on the door....very simple...but elegant

@Nataliesgramma

This is all we usually do outside (minus the spotlight, but love that look), and I think it is so elegant, yet cozy and welcoming at the same time. We have never done lights outside. We didn't have them growing up, and I just never did it either.