Honored Contributor

Re: Now that the holiday meal is over, I have a question.

If I was invited to dinner where the host provided all of the food, I would not ask to take left overs home.

If like you,  I provided food as part of the meal, not just a bottle of wine, I would have no problem asking if I could take a plate home for later.

If I take several dishes to share, that means it is a " pot luck" style dinner.  

Your hosts were very impolite to not offer you food to take home, especially since you generously contributed to the meal.

Respected Contributor

@Pook wrote:

I would never ask and think it's rude no matter how well you know the hosts.  It's usually the hosts that end up with no leftovers after all the fuss.   I always bring the deserts and make several differnt things and slice cakes, make sheet pies and cut in pieces, etc then make a dessert tray with an assortment.  Then I am able to have some of each at home for us. 

@Pook   I have done as you mentioned and the dessert tray is very nice. I just didn't want to preslice the cake, guess I should have.

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@panda1234 wrote:

Was invited to Easter Brunch at a friend’s home. Took several dishes and some liquor. There were leftovers which I would have taken some home but was never asked. I should have asked but didn’t think it was proper. When they come to my house I always offer and they accept. Is it okay to ask to take food home? 

@panda1234   I'm sorry but I simply HAVE to ask this question:  Had you offered to bring the items and did the hostess know and agree to you bringing the food and drinks?

@Sooner   I did ask if I could bring something as I don't like to show up empty handed. She told me what to bring, two entrees, three desserts and two bottles of wine, all of which I was happy to do. 

Respected Contributor

@Pook wrote:

I always make a turkey and/or ham for Christmas and Easter even though we go to SO's sister's house every year.  I want to have these for us.  They always give everyone leftovers and I tell them we don't need anything I have my own leftovers.

@Pook   Good idea. I just wanted a piece of cake I brought, I was too full to eat it there. Never made this cake and wanted to taste it.

Honored Contributor

@panda1234 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@panda1234 wrote:

Was invited to Easter Brunch at a friend’s home. Took several dishes and some liquor. There were leftovers which I would have taken some home but was never asked. I should have asked but didn’t think it was proper. When they come to my house I always offer and they accept. Is it okay to ask to take food home? 

@panda1234   I'm sorry but I simply HAVE to ask this question:  Had you offered to bring the items and did the hostess know and agree to you bringing the food and drinks?

@Sooner   I did ask if I could bring something as I don't like to show up empty handed. She told me what to bring, two entrees, three desserts and two bottles of wine, all of which I was happy to do. 

Bizarre.  If you were going to bring all that, you should have just had Easter dinner at your own house.  I would never bring all that to anyone's house, not even one my daughters.  However, since in this case you provided most of the meal, you should asked if you could take some leftovers home for later.  Your situation was much different than the normal one where we take a dessert or a salad or bottle of wine.  

Respected Contributor

@MarkeieMark wrote:

@panda1234 wrote:

@MarkeieMark wrote:

What type of freind can't you ask to take a piece of cake home?  Oh dear me sakes.

@MarkeieMark   I just didn’t want to seem rude.

Dear, if you had to worry about it, then it was best you didn't ask.

@MarkeieMark   No worries, I saved on the calories....it's all good.

Esteemed Contributor

I would never ask. My mother, soon to be 97, was an awful cook. She’d always make way too much food and send everyone home with unwanted leftovers. We didn’t want to insult Mom so we’d take the packages, issue many thanks, and throw the food out after arriving home. Besides, Mom always left food out too long, leaving many of us in the bathroom way too many times. Everyone in the family experienced this trial by intestinal fire over the years. Bottom line...sometimes it’s a good thing not to take any leftovers home.

Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree   You are right, but that would mean I would have to clean if I had it at my house.  Believe it or not, they had a ton of food that they made as well. 

Respected Contributor

@panda1234: I think it depends on the type of relationship you have with your friend. IMO, if it's a friend who's more like an acquaintance, I wouldn't ask. But, if it's a lifelong friend or a close family member, I would. In my family, when inviting my family or a close friend over to eat, there's an understanding they can take food home if they wish. In fact, I encourage them to bring their own food containers! Smiley LOL

Respected Contributor

No.