Contributor

Re: Now that the holiday meal is over, I have a question.

I think if you brought the food items in your own dishes the polite thing to do would be to offer the hostess if she would like to keep any of the food you brought and then take the rest of what you brought back home!  This way, you’re saving the hostess from doing more dishes  ( and possibly throwing what you made away) and you can leave a little for yourself! 

Honored Contributor

If it’s family, I always make more than enough so there will be leftovers. We have two older family members who really do need prepared food to take home due to their fragile health and not being able to cook much anymore. Something that is heat and eat is much appreciated. They even bring their own containers! It I were a guest and was not family, I would never ask for leftovers.
Honored Contributor

Maybe they were tired and just in a hurry to get people out the door so they could clean up.  I've never taken anything to a party with an expectation of getting some back except if a nice plate or dish I want to keep then I want that back sometime.  And I try to take things in disposable pans so I won't have to--or can ditch it when I get home.

I don't want stuff that has been sitting out and people pawing around over it.  Like at a buffet.  Ick. 

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Maybe they were tired and just in a hurry to get people out the door so they could clean up.  I've never taken anything to a party with an expectation of getting some back except if a nice plate or dish I want to keep then I want that back sometime.  And I try to take things in disposable pans so I won't have to--or can ditch it when I get home.

I don't want stuff that has been sitting out and people pawing around over it.  Like at a buffet.  Ick. 

I agree! The food sits out, people double dip, etc. And if people are coughing, feeling unwell, forget it. 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

If you didn't have room for dessert I see no problem asking your friend if you could take a piece of cake home for later.

That's a whole different matter then requesting to fill up a plate with leftovers.

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Sooner   I just wanted a piece of cake that I brought. I never made it before and wanted to try it. I was too full to eat it there. 

Valued Contributor

I would never ask to take anything home. But, If I were hosting, I would happily give anyone food to take home whether they contributed or not. The refrigerator gets so full after big holiday meals, and a lot would go to waste in my home if I didn’t let the guests make doggy bags.