Honored Contributor

Re: Now that the holiday meal is over, I have a question.

I buy containers just so I can send leftovers from a meal with guests. I always ask if they would like to take any left overs home. Also I have never had a guest bring any dishes. 

But I would not ask to take any food home since the host did not offer.

Respected Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

I buy containers just so I can send leftovers from a meal with guests. I always ask if they would like to take any left overs home. Also I have never had a guest bring any dishes. 

@drizzellla   I have a brother-in-law who goes to Costco and buys the styrofoam clamshells for people to take food home. They put what they want in the container and no worries to return the container. 

Honored Contributor

I would never ask and think it's rude no matter how well you know the hosts.  It's usually the hosts that end up with no leftovers after all the fuss.   I always bring the deserts and make several differnt things and slice cakes, make sheet pies and cut in pieces, etc then make a dessert tray with an assortment.  Then I am able to have some of each at home for us. 

Honored Contributor

@sissel wrote:

I wouldn't ask either but if you were at my house I would be handing you brand new containers  to take whatever. My DD usually takes most of the dinner home with her, once on Thanksgiving she took so much my DH hardly had his leftovers the next day. I laughed said I can make you anything she doesn't have time to cook like this. I get excited if they want to take home food because I think they enjoyed it and it makes me happy. I know people that buy a turkey or turkey breast at Thanksgiving knowing they are eating at a family/friends house and will not get leftovers and they cook it the next day so they have some turkey the next few days. 

I agree who wants the leftovers hanging around?

Honored Contributor

I always make a turkey and/or ham for Christmas and Easter even though we go to SO's sister's house every year.  I want to have these for us.  They always give everyone leftovers and I tell them we don't need anything I have my own leftovers.

Honored Contributor

I'm glad you didn't ask to take home the leftovers.  I'd have been embarrassed for you!

Honored Contributor

@panda1234 wrote:

@drizzellla wrote:

@drizzellla   I have a brother-in-law who goes to Costco and buys the styrofoam clamshells for people to take food home. They put what they want in the container and no worries to return the container. 

Never thought of that. Good idea. I buy Ziploc plastic containers. Every few months I buy another pack of them, so I have plenty to go around.

Honored Contributor

I'd only ask aboult leftovers if it was one of my daughter's homes or one of my sister's homes.  No one else.  I alway buy plastic containers so that my guests can take whatever they want home with them, my friends all seem to really like that but now that you mention it, none of them do it.    

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't ask. The exception is immediate family. We come carrying Lock n Lock containers! 

Honored Contributor

@panda1234 wrote:

Was invited to Easter Brunch at a friend’s home. Took several dishes and some liquor. There were leftovers which I would have taken some home but was never asked. I should have asked but didn’t think it was proper. When they come to my house I always offer and they accept. Is it okay to ask to take food home? 

@panda1234   I'm sorry but I simply HAVE to ask this question:  Had you offered to bring the items and did the hostess know and agree to you bringing the food and drinks?