Respected Contributor

Re: Now that the holiday meal is over, I have a question.

@panda1234 I would never ask but usually it is family and they ALWAYS offer. Today, they offered, and I did not take it, and now wanting a piece of the tasty ham😢😢. 

Honored Contributor

@panda1234 wrote:

Was invited to Easter Brunch at a friend’s home. Took several dishes and some liquor. There were leftovers which I would have taken some home but was never asked. I should have asked but didn’t think it was proper. When they come to my house I always offer and they accept. Is it okay to ask to take food home? 

if they don't offer,  don't ask

although interesting that they TAKE from you

Trusted Contributor

What type of freind can't you ask to take a piece of cake home?  Oh dear me sakes.

Respected Contributor

personally for me, it would depend on how much was left, and how well i know them. 

if it is just the two of them, and they had shared dishes for 20 people with a ton of leftovers, i might have asked. 

Respected Contributor

@lynnie61 wrote:

@panda1234 I would never ask but usually it is family and they ALWAYS offer. Today, they offered, and I did not take it, and now wanting a piece of the tasty ham😢😢. 

@lynnie61  I am with you.....just want a piece of my cake. Oh well, I saved on the calories.....but still want that cake.

Super Contributor

I have never asked to take home something I made or bought to anyone.  I have made extra and kept some for me and DH but would never put someone on the spot like that.  If they offered, that would be different. 

Respected Contributor

@MarkeieMark wrote:

What type of freind can't you ask to take a piece of cake home?  Oh dear me sakes.

@MarkeieMark   I just didn’t want to seem rude.

Trusted Contributor

@panda1234 wrote:

@MarkeieMark wrote:

@MarkeieMark   I just didn’t want to seem rude.

Dear, if you had to worry about it, then it was best you didn't ask.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I wouldn't ask.  

Respected Contributor

I wouldn't ask either but if you were at my house I would be handing you brand new containers  to take whatever. My DD usually takes most of the dinner home with her, once on Thanksgiving she took so much my DH hardly had his leftovers the next day. I laughed said I can make you anything she doesn't have time to cook like this. I get excited if they want to take home food because I think they enjoyed it and it makes me happy. I know people that buy a turkey or turkey breast at Thanksgiving knowing they are eating at a family/friends house and will not get leftovers and they cook it the next day so they have some turkey the next few days.