Respected Contributor

Re: No longer set up a tree for holidays.

@mspatmac @fingerlakesny Add me to that! It's always just been me, DH and one or two cats--but we have always put up a tree. We love the lights! We used to do the 9 ft. real trees just because we could...got over that years ago because of cats playing in the trees and getting needles everywhere. Now we have a 7.5 ft. artificial tree. 

We don't go all out, just one tree, a Nativity on the mantel,and some things to sit on the dining room and kitchen tables. Small wreath on the back door, swag on the mailbox and that's it. We live on heavily wooded property, and the house can't be seen from the road, so no point decorating the outside. We don't entertain, either.

As long as we are able, we will put up a tree and a Nativity scene!

@mspatmac wrote:

@fingerlakesny wrote:

If I live to be 100 and the last person on earth, I would still put up a tree.  It is very calming for me during the Christmas season to sit at night with just the tree lights on and listen to soft Christmas music.  My husband passed away 3 years ago and it is just me and my 5 kitties.  They have never gotten into the tree and ruined anything.  I just love Christmas and the true meaning.

@fingerlakesny  Thank you for sharing.  I feel the same and maybe we can be the last two people.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I skipped a tree one year.  After that I had a 3 foot pre lit tree that I decorated.  I did the 3 foot pre lit tree for several years then went back to a 6 foot pre lit tree.

The first artificial tree I had for nearly 20 years was the kind that you inserted each branch and had to then put lights on first before decorating with ornaments.

When I bought the 6 foot pre lit tree a couple of years ago and pulled it out of the box and it just opened like a reverse umbrella I was like Eureka!!!

I liked how I shaped it that first year and bought a huge red storage bag for it.  I wrestled that tree in the bag and stood it up in the basement.

All I have to do each year is get that thing upstairs and put the ornaments on it.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

There was a time in my earlier life that I would never have understood such a thing from anyone less than 100 or physically challenged beyond doing so. 

But with a little age and a lot of wisdom under my belt (or is that a lot of age and a little wisdom?!!! LOL), I now get it. 

I still do a tree. Last year I only did one five footer, and we have had two trees for the last 23 years before that. I now only own the one five footer, but honestly I can't begin to use even a fraction of my many decades collected sentimental ornaments on it, so I'm considering getting another tree, a bigger one, and still doing two. I just haven't decided for sure.

Honestly, I do the tree for me. Husband has never cared one way or the other, and son is grown and gone, so I'm the only one that cares about it, but I do love a tree in the home during the holidays. And with the pre lit artificial ones of today, they are easy to set up and take down. I just hate storing them.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio, if Christmas storage is an issue, I suggest driving over to Kidron, buying an Amish built she-shed and have it delivered out to your property.

You can decorate it like it was an elf's workshop for the holidays. After all, you have lots of decor going unused. 😉

You can thank me later 😁

Honored Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

@Mominohio, if Christmas storage is an issue, I suggest driving over to Kidron, buying an Amish built she-shed and have it delivered out to your property.

You can decorate it like it was an elf's workshop for the holidays. After all, you have lots of decor going unused. 😉

You can thank me later 😁

@Snowpuppy 

I might have to wack you up side the head later! LOL Putting bad (translated as expensive) ideas in my head!

My mom bought a really top of the line shed this year from the Amish in Millersburg, and it would make a great Christmas she shed. She is using hers as a regular lawn shed, for yard tools, porch furniture off season etc.

Since the shed is on our property, I'll most likely inherit it, and that might be a good thing to do with it! 

Respected Contributor

@ZoetheCat wrote:

I was just thinking’s about this yesterday.  I have very high ceilings and so need a tall tree to fill the space.  As others have said, I, too, love to look at the tree all lit up (preferably with a lit fireplace).  But I also increasingly think about the work involved.  I love to decorate, and so I’ll probably continue doing it as long as I’m able.  It saddens me to think that I may someday decide it’s no longer worth it.  I guess I’ll just have to cross that bridge when I get to it.

1533D674-9905-473E-9C12-4FC88EA54AC3.jpeg

A tastefully decorated home. A slice of Americana there with a lovely tree showcased. This to me screams "home"

Super Contributor

@Reever wrote:

@ZoetheCat wrote:

I was just thinking’s about this yesterday.  I have very high ceilings and so need a tall tree to fill the space.  As others have said, I, too, love to look at the tree all lit up (preferably with a lit fireplace).  But I also increasingly think about the work involved.  I love to decorate, and so I’ll probably continue doing it as long as I’m able.  It saddens me to think that I may someday decide it’s no longer worth it.  I guess I’ll just have to cross that bridge when I get to it.

1533D674-9905-473E-9C12-4FC88EA54AC3.jpeg

A tastefully decorated home. A slice of Americana there with a lovely tree showcased. This to me screams "home"

Thank you so much for your kind words @Reever, I love to decorate but have to remind myself to practice restraint.  When I look at pictures from past years, I definitely have been guilty of going overboard.

Honored Contributor

@traveler wrote:

Do we need a public photo album to post.

@traveler 

If you mean the pop-up that asks public or private, you can choose private.  I always do.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Super Contributor

I only put up the big tree if I am hosting - and I haven't hosted in years!  Generally the small 2 footer goes onto my credenza with a few other decorations. 

Respected Contributor

Owl