Honored Contributor

Re: No longer set up a tree for holidays.

@Reever wrote:

@blackhole99 wrote:

My son who is an adult could care less if he comes to visit and there is no tree, but my husband is the kid in the family. I don't put up a fresh tree anymore, but I do put up a small artificial tree. My husband says it's not the holidays without cookies and decorations, including a tree. As along as I'm able to do it, I will.

Your husband is correct.  He sounds like someone who loves Christmas. How shameful your son does not care enough to even put up a small table top tree. Perhaps the younger generation does not understand the meaning of Christmas.  

Shameful????  Yikes. It's a tree for goodness sake. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Reever wrote:

@blackhole99 wrote:

My son who is an adult could care less if he comes to visit and there is no tree, but my husband is the kid in the family. I don't put up a fresh tree anymore, but I do put up a small artificial tree. My husband says it's not the holidays without cookies and decorations, including a tree. As along as I'm able to do it, I will.

Your husband is correct.  He sounds like someone who loves Christmas. How shameful your son does not care enough to even put up a small table top tree. Perhaps the younger generation does not understand the meaning of Christmas.  

@Reever   She didn't say her son didn't put up a tree.  He doesn't live with her and doesn't care if she has a tree up when he comes to visit.  It's interesting that you think Christmas trees embody the meaning of Christmas.  I no longer put up a Christmas tree (I couldn't even if I wanted to because my cat would destroy it).  I do put up several different manger scenes.  To me that represents the true meaning of Christmas.  Everyone has their own meaning of Christmas.  I wouldn't presume to dictate to someone what that should be.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Valued Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

@Reever wrote:

@blackhole99 wrote:

Shameful????  Yikes. It's a tree for goodness sake. 

@gidgetgh  What’s shameful is that she thinks the real meaning of Christmas has anything to do with a tree.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

To this point, I continue to put up some kind of a tree. Sometimes it's a 7' tree and sometimes it's just a table top tree. I still enjoy looking at them even if I don't always enjoy the work of setting them up and taking them down. Each year, I consider whether to put up a tree or not and while the day might come, possibly even this year, when I opt not to, so far I've opted in. I'd also note, in my opinion, enjoyment of a Christmas Tree is not limited to children or those with children...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

@Reever wrote:

@blackhole99 wrote:

@Reever- No tree here but we truly understand the meaning of Christmas.

Super Contributor

I was just thinking’s about this yesterday.  I have very high ceilings and so need a tall tree to fill the space.  As others have said, I, too, love to look at the tree all lit up (preferably with a lit fireplace).  But I also increasingly think about the work involved.  I love to decorate, and so I’ll probably continue doing it as long as I’m able.  It saddens me to think that I may someday decide it’s no longer worth it.  I guess I’ll just have to cross that bridge when I get to it.

1533D674-9905-473E-9C12-4FC88EA54AC3.jpeg

Frequent Contributor

As long as I'm breathing I will put up a tree.....and a real one too!! We went with out a tree the year we bought our first house. We closed on it Dec 1 st and worked all through the weeks painting and fixing and remodeling it and were moving into it after the New Year. We both decided to not unpack + then repack all the Christmas decorations. It was by far our busiest holiday but it was rather sad too...that Christmas morning opening up what we bought for each other and not having any twinkle of lights or the smell of a tree was depressing. That year my hubby said he would never ever not have a tree as long as he was alive. So thirty years and counting and we still do a tree!

Esteemed Contributor

I decorate for all holidays but Christmas is my favorite! The only reason I would not put up the tree, is being physically incapable of doing so.😁

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

We have skipped the tree once in awhile. We have no children so not a big deal. IMO the reason for the season is the birth of Christ so I always put up our nativity. We also put up wreaths, window candles, and dining table decorations.

We finally bought a tree with lights attached last year, and that makes putting one up & taking it down easier when you don’t have to string & remove lights! Maybe that will encourage us to put one up every year. 

Frequent Contributor

7 years ago, my husband of 23 years decided he didn't want to be married anymore.  I never saw this coming, so needless to say went through the grief process, and somehow managed to survive, when I really did not think I would.  Christmas was always very special to us.  We had no children, but loved our feline companions.  For 2 years after he left, I celebrated no holidays.  I was depressed and didn't care about much.  Then I realized that not putting up my tree, and not enjoying holidays and life, was just hurting myself.  I don't get a real tree anymore, but I have a few tabletops, and they go up right after Thanksgiving.  I enjoy the season, the beauty, the music, the thoughts of peace and love.   I have my five cats, who I adore.  And I would never get married again...fool me once...