Respected Contributor

Re: No longer set up a tree for holidays.

Do we need a public photo album to post.

Esteemed Contributor

@goldensrbest  It's just the dogs and myself also, but I love the lights and trees.

Last year I got Valerie's 7' glistening tree and it takes about 20 minutes to decorate with beaded fruit.

Your table top tree is great and it would be cheerful for you. Small trees can be beautiful and easier. My mother did hers with handmade eggs she made. Nice but fragile!
     Now I have Valerie's white birch tree in a corner and candles everywhere. After the witch flies away the tree goes up!

I miss the old Holidays also, it's not the same but I enjoy decorating. I hope you find a little corner for some cheer!

Honored Contributor

I don't have children in my life any more either or even much of a family left, but I will still put up a small tree and other decorations as long as I am able.  While it's true that Christmas holidays are not what they once where and I do get sad and somewhat depressed about it, I refuse to abandon all of the traditions that I have had and enjoyed my whole life.  I do understand those who have physical issues and can no longer do this.  Holidays are difficult for so many of us in so many ways.  We remember all the happy times of holidays in the past and wish at times we could re-capture these times.  I have all these memories in my heart and as long as I am living, these memories will never die.  So, decorating -- the tree, etc. is bittersweet. 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Trusted Contributor

I stopped years ago.  There must be 25 large boxes full of ornaments (hundreds of Hallmark ones) and decorations plus trees in the basement.  Hopefully, I'll make a dent in giving these away this year. I would rather spend my time on me than on decorating.

Esteemed Contributor

My last tree was Christmas of 2000.  My son got married and I gave everything, ornaments, lights, outside decorations to him and DIL.  If they wanted them great, if not, throw them away.

I hated dragging it all out and putting is away.  Can't have Poinsettias due to cats. Kids are adults and they don't care if the house looks Christmasy or not.  No grandkids.

I love giving gifts but that's all I do.

Contributor

I look forward to Christmas every year. I go all out inside and out with decorating. Never had children. Even decorated and cooked holiday dinner when I was single and living alone for 15 years. Been married for 30 years. When I met my husband, he was raised to never celebrate Christmas. Well, once he met this heathen here, all that changed!! It makes me absolutely giddy and I allow NO ONE to take that joy away from me. I used to ride around in my car at night enjoying all the holiday decorations, but people don't decorate so much anymore (at least outside). I do however, enjoy the bit that I do see. Everything changes, and sometimes not for the better. 

Esteemed Contributor

@fingerlakesny wrote:

If I live to be 100 and the last person on earth, I would still put up a tree.  It is very calming for me during the Christmas season to sit at night with just the tree lights on and listen to soft Christmas music.  My husband passed away 3 years ago and it is just me and my 5 kitties.  They have never gotten into the tree and ruined anything.  I just love Christmas and the true meaning.

@fingerlakesny  Thank you for sharing.  I feel the same and maybe we can be the last two people.  

Respected Contributor

@traveler wrote:

Do we need a public photo album to post.

@traveler No need for a public album.  You can post directly from your pictures folder.

Respected Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

My son who is an adult could care less if he comes to visit and there is no tree, but my husband is the kid in the family. I don't put up a fresh tree anymore, but I do put up a small artificial tree. My husband says it's not the holidays without cookies and decorations, including a tree. As along as I'm able to do it, I will.

Your husband is correct.  He sounds like someone who loves Christmas. How shameful your son does not care enough to even put up a small table top tree. Perhaps the younger generation does not understand the meaning of Christmas.  

Super Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

Yes, because I keep one up year-round.

Me too.  I keep mine up in the sunroom undecorated until the Christmas season and then add a few pointsetta clips and some red bulbs and turn on the lights and I am done with the tree.