Honored Contributor

Re: No longer set up a tree for holidays.

[ Edited ]

A whole lot of people don't do the Christmas tree thing.  Some because their lives have downsized and some have never decorated trees.  A Christmas tree is not a requirement for Christmas.  Both my sisters live in good sized apartments but neither one has ever had a Christmas tree.  One never wanted one,  the other has a cat.....enough said about that.  They do  decorate for Christmas in other ways.  

Respected Contributor

@Reever wrote:

At the bare minimum everyone should at least put up a 3 foot tree. I have a Bethlehem Lights tree that is pre lit and I hang Thomas Pacconi ornaments on it.  Many of us remember Thomas and his unique well designed glass blown ornaments. Such a shame he left Qvc. Last I heard he was at Walgreens of all places.  

Why? People should decorate or not the way that they want to. I haven't put a tree or decorations up in years. I've neither the time or the inclination to do it, yet I enjoy the holidays anyway. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

I have a small table top tree,did not use it last year,not sure about this year, only me and my dogs, must say i find it very sad the holidays, i so miss the way it was.

@goldensrbest - I'm with you on that. I find the holidays very sad now. I'm not a fan of holidays anymore. None of them. Even the minor holidays. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GingerPeach 

Your trees are lovely!

You have such a wonderful touch for decorating...inside and out Cat Happy

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman 

That is so sweet.  Thank you so much. Heart

Your lovely compliment reminded me of a brief moment, years and years ago, when I was in a bookstore reaching for a decorating book and a young couple asked me (with what to me appeared to be hope in their eyes), "Are you a decorator?"  I had to say no, but I always think that could have been a real turning point in life.  Sadly, I didn't do anything about it. 

In any event, should I ever come to your neck of the woods, I would definitely want to stay in your B&B.  It is so inviting!  The woods, the outdoor seating, and the cozy kitchen.  Everything just calls out, "Come, relax, enjoy!"

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

@GingerPeach 

You're most welcome to come any time!

You can help me decorate! Cat LOL

Esteemed Contributor

Not important to me. I only like the holidays if simplicity is involved. Husband bought a new, holiday tree and will set up in basement by his new, oversized TV. He's not into simplicity like I am -- Smiley Happy But I promise -- he will, for the first time, set up and take down the tree by himself -- even if it stays up until summer. So help me Santa.   

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

Yes we have two trees, but they have gotten slimmer and shorter over the years.

Respected Contributor

@Krimpette 

I haven’t put up a tree, faux or real, for several years.  Instead, I cut a few branches from some evergreen trees, ties the ends together and attach some balls.  When I place them in the bow windows, I add varying height fat candles and some wide ( wire-edged ) red velvet bows.

very little storage needed.  If you can’t find real evergreen boughs, silks would work.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

My son who is an adult could care less if he comes to visit and there is no tree, but my husband is the kid in the family. I don't put up a fresh tree anymore, but I do put up a small artificial tree. My husband says it's not the holidays without cookies and decorations, including a tree. As along as I'm able to do it, I will.