Respected Contributor

No longer set up a tree for holidays.

I no longer set up a tree with ornaments. Limited space and no children in my life anymore. Anyone else?

Honored Contributor

Re: No longer set up a tree for holidays.

@traveler   I don't either and haven't for several years.  I have a two year old cat now who would definitely destroy the tree, so it's a good thing I don't want one!

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Yes, a tree is no longer a key element in our holidays.  

Trusted Contributor

Our daughter is almost 26 and has been gone since she was 18.  We still go all out for Xmas.  It's our favorite time of year. We decorate the house, put up the tree, the whole works, even though it's just the two of us and the dog. 

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

If I live to be 100 and the last person on earth, I would still put up a tree.  It is very calming for me during the Christmas season to sit at night with just the tree lights on and listen to soft Christmas music.  My husband passed away 3 years ago and it is just me and my 5 kitties.  They have never gotten into the tree and ruined anything.  I just love Christmas and the true meaning.

Esteemed Contributor

last couple of years have not put up a tree.....just display my large ceramic tree from the 70'ss!

Honored Contributor

If I put up a tree at all, it's only a very small one.  (I have one that's about 12-14 inches tall).  I do love to always have a poinsettia, but I have terrible luck keeping them alive.  (I don't think I keep my house at the proper temperature for them.). This year, I ordered a set of three artificial ones that QVC recently offered.  Haven't received them yet.  They're likely to be my only decoration this year.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Haven't put up a tree in at least 15 years. Too much trouble to put up and take down for no one to see but me.  Christmas is always at my oldest DD house and she does all the decorating.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, because I keep one up year-round.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@traveler - we didn't put up a tree last year. I used the Valerie Parr Hill lighted mercury glass tree instead. Our tree, which was a tabletop one, was donated to Goodwill this year. As of today, I have no plans to replace it. 

I've given away probably 90% of our ornaments. I can't seem to part with the others yet, but they fit in one storage container so I'm ok with that for right now. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?