Honored Contributor

@Sooner 

As much as I love my family, past and present, I grew up with everything being a "tradition" that involved a family dinner.  As a kid, it was just normal.  

As a married adult, I realized I had a choice, which is when I began to say no to family dinners, reunions, etc.  I have not burdened my daughters with tradition, since my MIL passed and the mandatory appearance at Christmas stopped.  That one was the absolute worst!

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

@Sooner 

As much as I love my family, past and present, I grew up with everything being a "tradition" that involved a family dinner.  As a kid, it was just normal.  

As a married adult, I realized I had a choice, which is when I began to say no to family dinners, reunions, etc.  I have not burdened my daughters with tradition, since my MIL passed and the mandatory appearance at Christmas stopped.  That one was the absolute worst!

@RedTop  I couldn't have said it better. 

Honored Contributor

I always had the extended family meal for every holiday for 45 years.

Plus the guests would stay for days with their families. The last 2 years I haven't.

Last year we bought a small spiral cut ham. It was good but too much food. This year we decided to buy just a ham steak.

Went out Wednesday to a local grocery. The only ham steaks were small. About the size you would use in a sandwich. Went to Costco. They had no ham steaks. Went to Sam's. Even asked the manager of the meat department. They had no ham steaks.  Went to another Sam's. They had plenty. There were about 5 cases of ham steaks out.

Did not expect to have to go to 4 different stores to get ham steak.

Respected Contributor

We're having a Honey Baked ham and with several side dishes....YUM!

Honored Contributor

Ham with probably a maple glaze, scalloped potatoes, salad.  Simple, no-bake chocolate nut cookies, and blackberry ice cream for dessert. 

Super Contributor

Kansas City Steak has a terrific carver ham.  We're having that.

We like to make sandwiches after.

Probably going to make homemade mac n cheese and green beans sauted in bacon grease with bits and slivered almonds.

I think I'll make cherry hand pies for dessert.

The only time I make turkey is on Thanksgiving.  I really don't like it, but my husband and son do, so I do it for them. 

I keep to our traditions.  Prime rib for Christmas, Corned Beef for St. Paddy's day.

Boring right?

Trusted Contributor

I would normally serve ham at Easter, since I love it! But my daughter is hosting and she is doing a brunch so it's egg casserole, bacon, mini quiches, fresh fruit and cupcakes for dessert. I'm excited to be a guest and not stress the menu like I usually do! 

Respected Contributor

@nada54 wrote:

Honeybaked ham.  Scalloped potatoes and fresh greenbeans.

Sounds delicious. There's a reason this meal is a classic. But I like the sandwich option too.