Honored Contributor

Re: New Year’s Eve And New Year’s Day Menu Plans?

@doxie1 

i have never heard of most of your traditions, but i do have to ask......what is a "footer?"

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 

Sunshine45,

We have an abundance of traditions that wear people out!

The first footer is the first person to enter your house after midnight. It is important that they are tall dark haired males. They are expected to bring gifts of coins, bread, salt, coal, whisky, rosemary and  evergreens. These are to ensure a year with financial prosperity, warmth, food, cheer, remembrance of lost loved ones and reminder of God's unending love for us.

They can not be in your house when midnight hits. They must arrive after that.

The black eyed pea/ cow pea/ red pea symbolizes survival and resillence as well as never being without coins. You must leave 3 black eyed peas on your plate.

The greens are to not be without folding money

The cornbread is for health

The pork is for prosperity

Carrots cut in rounds help provide health

Tomatoes are to be fruitful in spirit

The hoppin john is a combination of rice, black eyed peas, pork, tomatoes, onions, garlic and spices. It is considered a poor man's meal and represents survival through tough times

Everybody has their own recipe for this so you may like some and not others It is a tradition that has been passed down in my family.

We have a whole list of what we can not eat and what we can not do on New Year's Day!

Hope that answers your question.

doxie

Esteemed Contributor

I’ll probably get Wing Stop New Year’s Eve and have Steak with baked potato and salad for New Years Day.

Esteemed Contributor

I've always viewed New Years Eve as any other night.  The only times I went out on NYE was necessity, for 8 years I worked in a restaurant and NYE was an absolute zoo. People who were ordinarily fine drank too much and got stupid.

I suggested to DD we do Chinese and get enough for new years day leftovers.

I don't do any special "good luck" dishes on new years day.  I'm sure millions did good luck meals 1/1/2020.  It didn't work, 2020 was a horror show.

Honored Contributor

No plans which is nice for a change. I'll be glad when they stop letting fireworks off around here. It started about 4 days ago and the dogs are terrifed and bark a lot during the night.

Trusted Contributor

We are ordering in food for New Year's Eve tomorrow night.  My husband loves these honey bbq boneless wings from a wing place near our house.  We are also ordering penne alla vodka.  I'll make a side and a dessert.

I will be making Chicken Marsala with sour cream & chive mashed potatoes, and asparagus for New Year's Day. It's not really a special meal for us, as I do make it sometimes.  It's a meal that we all love, so it's perfect for the day.

Respected Contributor

Filet mignon for me, ribeye for husband (just picked them up at Publix today).   Got husband a small lobster tail.  Daughter will have chicken (she doesn't like steak or seafood).  Will serve rice and asparagus with it. Will bake pistachio cake for dessert. For New Years Day, probably hamburgers or something else that's easy.  Nothing that has feathers, my Mom keeps telling me year after year don't eat anything with feathers on New Years Day....your luck will fly away.  

Honored Contributor

Going to a friends house, about 8 of us, but will probably be home before midnight.   New Years day I will help a friend clean her new apartment.

I hope that Saturday and Sunday will be just mine to do as I please, unless DH decides he wants to do something.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I'm sitting here alone with two dogs.  I'm supposed to have a menu?

@Kachina624 - I literally did LOL at your response.  As I was reading what everyone had said, I was "clutching my pearls". I might have a grilled cheese sandwich New Years Day.

New Years Eve?  I'll be in bed by 8 watching movies I've recorded.  Ok, ok, I'll start watching the first movie and I'll fall asleep.  

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh.  Your life sounds like mine.  When hunger strikes, I go to the freezer and pantry and pick out whatever sounds good.  Menu?  I think not.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment