Esteemed Contributor

Re: New Show Davids Big FALL

@Mominohio - I totally understand your frustration, especially since I, too, wanted big fall items, not Halloween items.

With regard to the lack of multiple "David's Big X" shows, I truly believe the Q wants to find out how popular large items are with its customer base. In several different threads within these forums, people have been complaining about all the big items because they have nowhere to display or store them, so I think it makes sense to find out whether the current oversized item craze is a passing fad or a lasting decor approach. The threads where people are excited about the oversized items seem equally enthusiastic, though, so it will be interesting to see how the inventory goes in the future. I would also say that most of the oversized items this year have been very, shall we say "whimsical" (I personally would say too crafty and juvenile), which is not going to appeal to everyone.

In addition, it takes months to select the seasonal items the Q is going to sell and then have them created and brought in for sale, so the company can't just turn on a dime and get more of something they might not have forecasted huge sales for. Perhaps that is short-sighted on their part, but it seems to just be the way they always do their seasonal business.

And who knows? Perhaps they actually have more Halloween shows lined up for those who want them—it is only the beginning of August, and Halloween is a much shorter season than fall for most people.

Honored Contributor

@loriqvc wrote:

@Mominohio - I totally understand your frustration, especially since I, too, wanted big fall items, not Halloween items.

With regard to the lack of multiple "David's Big X" shows, I truly believe the Q wants to find out how popular large items are with its customer base. In several different threads within these forums, people have been complaining about all the big items because they have nowhere to display or store them, so I think it makes sense to find out whether the current oversized item craze is a passing fad or a lasting decor approach. The threads where people are excited about the oversized items seem equally enthusiastic, though, so it will be interesting to see how the inventory goes in the future. I would also say that most of the oversized items this year have been very, shall we say "whimsical" (I personally would say too crafty and juvenile), which is not going to appeal to everyone.

In addition, it takes months to select the seasonal items the Q is going to sell and then have them created and brought in for sale, so the company can't just turn on a dime and get more of something they might not have forecasted huge sales for. Perhaps that is short-sighted on their part, but it seems to just be the way they always do their seasonal business.

And who knows? Perhaps they actually have more Halloween shows lined up for those who want them—it is only the beginning of August, and Halloween is a much shorter season than fall for most people.

@loriqvc 

I too have noticed that there is a lot of whimsical in the oversized. It's not for me at this stage, but I think lots of people with little kids in their lives (or kids at heart!) love that kind of thing. Most of it sells out, and quickly.

QVC is acting like this whole oversized thing is all new to them. It isn't . They've been bringing it for a couple of years now in limited quantity (not fall/Halloween so much) and they have had great success with it. And the sell out of the things in the last two years should have been enough of a 'test' for them. They have stepped it up some but not to the extent one would expect based on past response.

I hope they do have more Halloween on tap for this season because they have missed the mark on that for a number of years now. Halloween decor sales have steadily increased for over a decade now, while QVC has barely recognized it in their merchandise offerings. They made it sound in last nights programming that this was going to be it, but maybe they were more referring to the big stuff and not Halloween in general.

I guess my take on this is they have tested the waters with this stuff in the past, and are really years behind in getting on the Halloween decor bandwagon, and pretending they don't know the big stuff is already popular and has sold well for them (in any holiday format). 

I don't see how after last year alone, they didn't understand what the demand for big (both holidays) and Halloween would be. 

Trusted Contributor

@Fressa wrote:

I love the "big" shows. I'm into fewer small decorating items and just a few large items. Slowly, I'm converting my home. It should make it easier to store, set up and put away. At least that's my plan.

@Fressa

I have been doing the exact same thing for the last four years or so.  And it is so much easier.  It doesn't take many things to have a big impact when items are larger.  It's also easier to clean around!  lol

Trusted Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

I just don't get QVC and their marketing or buying teams.

I feel this David's Big Fall was a really missed opportunity on several levels. 

First, I'm not accepting the usual shtick that they "are trying this out to see how customers like it"....blah blah blah?

If you don't know your customer base by now, you need new people in key buying and marketing positions. 

For years people have been begging for Halloween to come back to Q. And when it does return it is just one show, and a bunch of blah blah about next year already. Next year isn't what people want today. 

And they billed this as Fall. That was misleading on two fronts.

Yes, there was a mix of Halloween and regular fall type stuff. But for those who are interested in Halloween specific, they had no clue by the show title what was coming up. I'm sure many people who wanted to see Halloween, missed this altogether, with nothing in the show title to know how much Halloween (or that any Halloween) would be shown. And people like me who just want fall, tuned in expecting something different. I don't know why they can't get it that so many customers want Halloween merchandise back, and for a few shows to feature that exclusively. And be sure to put that in the title!

And only one show for the season? Regardless of mixing the two or separate, the big stuff is taking off, they should know it by now, and it would seem they should have prepared to do several shows featuring Halloween things and big things.

I personally have no interest in buying anything Halloween related. I've never decorated for Halloween. But I can see the demand and desire is here, and I simply don't get why they wouldn't do more shows featuring it, put the fact it was going to have Halloween merchandise in the title somewhere, and stop making excuses about 'next year', when they should already have known the success it would be THIS YEAR.

I hope those here that wanted Halloween got things before they sold out, but I think they need to figure out that there is the desire out there for more of many of these types/genres of merchandise throughout the year, yet they limit the selection and showings to the point it only frustrates some customers, when they miss out on the programming or the low quantity of things they bring in. 

@Mominohio

If I'm not mistaken I'm quite sure Halloween is second only to Christmas in the amount of money people spend on it.  It is a HUGE money maker for merchants so I don't get it either.   But then I don't get a lot of what the Q does anymore. IMO it's changed a lot, and not for the better. Just sayin'.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@loriqvc wrote:

@loriqvc 

I too have noticed that there is a lot of whimsical in the oversized. It's not for me at this stage, but I think lots of people with little kids in their lives (or kids at heart!) love that kind of thing. Most of it sells out, and quickly.

QVC is acting like this whole oversized thing is all new to them. It isn't . They've been bringing it for a couple of years now in limited quantity (not fall/Halloween so much) and they have had great success with it. And the sell out of the things in the last two years should have been enough of a 'test' for them. They have stepped it up some but not to the extent one would expect based on past response.

I hope they do have more Halloween on tap for this season because they have missed the mark on that for a number of years now. Halloween decor sales have steadily increased for over a decade now, while QVC has barely recognized it in their merchandise offerings. They made it sound in last nights programming that this was going to be it, but maybe they were more referring to the big stuff and not Halloween in general.

I guess my take on this is they have tested the waters with this stuff in the past, and are really years behind in getting on the Halloween decor bandwagon, and pretending they don't know the big stuff is already popular and has sold well for them (in any holiday format). 

I don't see how after last year alone, they didn't understand what the demand for big (both holidays) and Halloween would be. 

@Mominohio  It was definitely a Halloween show, and though David predicted at the top of the show that everything would sell out, I believe only a few items did.  He also said nothing scary, but I think little kids would be scared of that dragon, especially when it raised it's wings, along with the red devil eyes, wonder how long that item will remain in stock, I predict quite a while.

We know that at least one more Fall show will be aired next month, better than last year.

Honored Contributor

I thought the pumpkin man in the preview was pretty cute (and whimsical) until I actually saw it!

I wanted a piece I saw - the glitter glass pumpkins.  I walked in right at the end of the presentation ... and missed them.  I thought they were beautiful but I don't have a space for them.

Respected Contributor

I received H215600, the Illuminated Oversized Pumpkin Luminary with Timer in orange today and I love it!

I knew it was going to be large, but there is something about watching it on tv and then seeing it in my home!  However, it looks great on my kitchen counter although after Labor Day it may move to the coffee table.  I thought the painting was really nice.  It is shaded and sort of dramatic.  The leaves have a lot of bling, but not too much to be tacky. 

I'm glad I got it.  I'm also happy I didn't get the gourd to go with it because I think that might be too much for my home.  If I had a larger area to display them I would be online in a minute getting that gourd.

For anyone else who might have ordered it, I hope you like it as much as I do.