Trusted Contributor

Re: Need tree skirt suggestions

@kittyloo
Your tree skirts sounds special. And it sounds like it compliments your tree in a special way. Seems like the ones I’ve purchased so far don’t add too the look, they’re just a tree skirt if you know what I mean.
I think I want something fuller than the average tree skirt. I just like to hear what everyone else uses. I thought I might be missing a deep dark secret! Haha.
@itsmeroo suggested using a throw and I think I’ll look at those on my search.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ladycos   You can always take a flat twin size sheet and wrap around the bottom of the tree making it look like snow.  Then add some decorations in the color of your choice.  I always liked the look of snow beneath the tree.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

@ladycos - If you decide to go with the "snow under the tree" look, I recommend using either a white sherpa-style or otherwise "furry" throw/blanket or the batting material you can get at the craft store—both will look a little more like soft snowdrifts and a little less like you just pulled something out of your guest room closet for decorations.  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I have found mine all over the place in past years. QVC has some really nice ones in the inventory but they are pricey. I do multiple trees but I lean toward a casual glam style. I've used Dennis Basso throws (found on clearance) and they work great. I also have found beautiful holiday tablecloths and wrapped those around the bottom of the tree. It works well. My most budget friendly skirt has been to purchase the large bags of "snow" batting at the craft store and just wrap that around the bottom. It comes in a variety of choices from soft white, sparkles or color flecks. I did not find it messy and it looked pretty.

Respected Contributor

For decades, until my aunt made my mom one with our 8 pictures on it, my mom used a white sheet right out of the linen closet. I wonder what my brother did with that tree skirt my aunt made. Its probably long gone.

Myself, I use a fluffy swath of white batting like stuff with glitter in it.

Respected Contributor

I have always had artificial trees up on a table, due to having multiple pets, so I needed a tree skirt that covered the card table I was using.  Round tree skirts do not cover a square table, so I measured the table and added enough extra to account for the tree stand lifting the skirt up in the middle, and went to a fabric store.  I chose one fabric that was pre-quilted with batting, and one that wasn't, in two complimentary prints, then bought enough ecru crocheted lace to edge the perimeter of the piece.  Then it was just a bunch of straight stitching on the sewing machine, with a slit from the middle of the back edge to a small hole to accomodate the pole in the middle of the tree, turning the piece right side out, and hand stitching the last little bit, and I have a reversible tree skirt that fits perfectly.  I've been using that tree skirt for 30 years now, one side is red with gold scrollwork all over it, the other side is a forest green background with forest animals printed on it.  I use the red and gold side when I use more formal decorations on the tree, and the animal print when I do a more "country Christmas" theme. 

Since you are wanting a more folded and draped look, rather than a flatter traditional tree skirt, I would suggest buying a chenille bedspread in white, or a large throw, you can drape that around the base of your tree and pin it together with a blanket pin.  If you are using a cut fresh tree, make sure to keep the fabric  out of the water in the tree stand every time you add water, or you'll have a dry tree and wet presents, floor and tree skirt as the skirt wicks the water out of the stand.  If you will be walking close to the tree skirt, you might need to pin up straggling corners as well, to avoid creating trip hazards.  Good luck, I hope you find a throw, bedspread or fabric that fits your mental picture to a T!

Trusted Contributor

@CamilleP
Your tree skirt sounds awesome. Thanks for your suggestions. That was very creative. Thanks for taking the time to post.
The wheels in my head are starting to turn from everyone’s suggestions. This has been so helpful. I’m so glad we have this forum.
It’s seems like there’s s market out there for something out of the normal on tree skirts.
Respected Contributor

@ladycos wrote:
I’m never satisfied with my tree skirts. I have purchased several but it’s never quite right for me. I need white or silver and maybe some gold if it’s right. What do you use for tree skirt? Have you found something that works for you?

I personally .. for some reason ... have never liked tree skirts ...so we

put the base of our artificial tree in a large decorative pot ....to get it to

stand up straight we use insulation foam ....took some finagiling but

we got it to work ....i love it ....then we just leave the bottom row in the

pot obviously .... and store it like that .....

Honored Contributor

@itsmetoo  I have found several at zulily, one at Hobby Lobby, Grandin Road, and one at Wayfair, I believe.  they are out there,.

Honored Contributor

@kittyloo wrote:

when i was a child, we always used a white sheet, as it looked like "snow".

@kittyloo  I remember that, but it doesn't work for me any longer, lol.