Honored Contributor

Re: Need tree skirt suggestions

@ladycos  You could put a scrunched sheet or throw underneath the skit, this would give it height and bulk.

Valued Contributor

Once used a bright red fleece throw.  Very colorful touch.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Google Christmas tree collar. Appears to be the new alternative to skirts. 

Trusted Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@itsmetoo  I have found several at zulily, one at Hobby Lobby, Grandin Road, and one at Wayfair, I believe.  they are out there,.

@mousiegirl

I think maybe this response was supposed to be for ladycos??

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've had the same one for many years.  It's a loosley crocheted lacy snowflake pattern made from white glistening/shimmering yarn, backed with white muslin.  I like it because it has the look of fresh fallen snow.  I see so many gorgeous tree skirts but none that I really like better than this one.  Besides, I have a ton of Christmas plush animals and toys that I stack beneath the tree that cover up the tree skirt anyway. 

loriqvc, I purchased mine from Bronner's too!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sewing your own is the only way to get exactly what you want in shape, fabric, size, etc., but you can get pretty close just by looking for throws and bedspreads you like.  There are so many holiday-print throws out there right now, you can pick and choose to your heart's content.  You can even use unusual things like throw pillows piled around the tree, or get several "ugly Christmas sweaters" and stuff them and even put a hanger and wires in them so you can pose them around the tree's base.  Stuffed animals or animal statues can be posed and placed, either by themselves or on a fabric skirt.  You could also put dolls or other toys that fit your decoration theme.  Flameless candles nestled into draped fabric can add light and sparkle.  Another thing you can do along the "embellish" line is find a plain white sheet, hang it up outside, spray it with spray-glue, and sprinkle it with glitter, artifical snow, or other material that will dress up a plain sheet.  Oh, you can also put battery-operated light strands amongst the folds of fabric.  I was at a local Fred Meyer's this weekend (a Kroger-brand chain) looking for a tree topper, and they had a dozen or more battery-operated LED strands with your choice of snowflakes, trees, ornaments, Santas, snowmen, candy canes and other small things strung on the light strand to be lit up when the LED's are turned on.  They are probably supposed to be on a tree, but could be in the skirt material as well.  I am sure you can come up with even more ideas of your own, just think outside the box and have fun!

Esteemed Contributor

I use tablecloths.  I put up 3 trees and each has a different theme.  I like using tablecloths as they give me the wide drape look that I like.  It is an easy way to coordinate the "skirt" with the tree theme.  In addition, laundering after the holiday is easy.

Valued Contributor

Great ideas, ladies.  All are beautiful and it's nice to change the look every so often.

Over the years I've used tree skirts, throw blankets and table cloths too.

Another look I like is using artificial greenery (garland, branches, long picks or faux poinsettias) tucked beneath the tree to camouflage the base.

~ To Know, To Dare, To Will, To Remain Silent ~
Honored Contributor

I've admired these wicker tree skirts from Terrain.  They come in a few different shades.  The opening at the top is only 24" so best to check that your stand will fit prior to buying.  Their website also has several other less conventional treatments for under-the-tree.

wicker1.JPGrattan1.JPG

Regular Contributor

I bought several feet of a polyster fabric from a local fabric store and I just wrap it around the base of the tree.  It's red, quilted, and thicker.  I like this much better than a flat skirt from a store.