Respected Contributor

For those of us who live in condos, apartments, rooms in assisted living we have little storage but still want decor. How about some ideas?  I downsized and donated a ton of stuff. Still have more to go. So looking for ideas to refresh.

Honored Contributor

Re: Need decor for small places

@traveler 

My suggestion would be as I did in my den area - little "touches" of fall/halloween.

I used Fall placemats on the end tables/coffee table.  I put small pumpkins, candy dish and little "touches" of fall plantings in vases-containers I already had, etc.

I am at the same as you - storage very limited now!  Although villa is big the closet space is 'minimal'.  

I repacked most my things in one of the Periea cloth storage boxes I got from Q.  And they stack perfectly in my guest closet.  

Respected Contributor

Off the top of my head - Use things that are year-round that can just use simple adjustments. For instance:

~ neutral candles - different-colored ribbon/fabric tied around them for different seasons/holidays

~ grapevine wreath - again different ribbons (tied different ways) for each season/holiday

~ placemats/tablerunners that are reversible (ie fall look one side, winter on the other)

~ a jute tote hanging on the doorknob with different flowers coming out of it (daisies summer, mums fall, etc)

Esteemed Contributor

Real pumpkins and gourds that can be tossed outdoors at the end of the season to feed the squirrels. Discard them at a distance from the house.

Plaid tablecloth in fall colors. Jar candles in fall scents. Fall colored or patterned throw blanket. One or two touches per room is plenty in a small space.

Respected Contributor

As @queendiva mentioned, I think using real plant material that can be discarded rather than stored is one of the best ways to decorate in a small space.  Autumn and Holiday/Winter are probably the easiest because pumpkins, gourds and everygreens are readily available almost everywhere.  Add some candles and you have a welcoming space with seasonal touches.

Valued Contributor

I wanted to add touches of fall decor but didn't want to dig out my fall stash.

So I minimized by adding fall bows to my already existing decor ... bunny got a bow, lanterns got bows.  I added a fall leaf garland over an existing green garland.  

Esteemed Contributor

@traveler  I so agree with @ThinkingOutLoud  in re the neutral candles. My ivory Luminara and mirage stay out all year, and I change out the candle rings. There is not one candle I put away. I only light some of them all year. They all are lit at Christmas.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi @traveler I live in a small apartment and don't keep many tchotchkes because the look is just clutter.  And I need the surfaces for living.  So I decorate with interesting pillows and things that can be hung in the walls.  That could be prints, paintings, macrame, iron work, wood work, etc.  It can be fun to mix things up.  Don't be afraid to hang many things close by, at different heights.  I keep the walls white.  I do add a candle or small piece of artwork that can sit on a table every once in a while, but then I need to reclaim the space for use, and the item just looks like clutter.  Etsy is a good place to look for interesting decor for walls and pillows.

Respected Contributor

qcb1.jpg

@traveler I know these aren't small vignettes but the concept could work well in any spize space.  Using black & white as a base I can add or change color decor for the different seasons.  Any neutral base should work well with adding pops of color.  Lighting works well too!qcb2.jpgqcb.jpg

Respected Contributor

Love the photos, rockygems.