Trusted Contributor

Need Gift Ideas for Father-In-Law

My father-in-law is 85 years old, in good health and active.  He is married.  They do not have any issues with money - they can buy whatever they want or need. 

I sometimes try to buy a "couple gift" something they can use in one of their two homes.  Last year I purchased the very large luminara lantern and also several different gourmet food items.   They seemed to enjoy everything.

This year I purchased the TSV Casa Zeta Jones robe for my mother-in-law.  I will again purchase gourmet food items for the both of them, but what do I buy for him???

I don't think he needs a robe too, I don't want to give gift cards or tickets to an event (done it too many times)   he has lots of clothes, he's trying to get rid of all his tools - he does not use them anymore.  I purchased a few years ago the Halo battery charger.

Any ideas?  He has a phone, he has a tablet.  Are they any other electronic type items perhaps I'm overlooking or anyone else have an idea?

I need your help ....please!!

Honored Contributor

Re: Need Gift Ideas for Father-In-Law

Does he like to read?  Maybe a Kindle.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Airpods.  The white apple earphones?  My husband and son love them.  

Another idea would be a charger with the charging cables/jacks as part of the charger.  Halo is great and all but my husband loves this charger he bought on that amazonian site that had two types of cables/jacks that folded into the power pack.  No need to have to worry about forgetting to bring the charging cable.

Esteemed Contributor

Maybe a fancy food gift......like something from Harry and David's? A heated throw? Wine?

Respected Contributor

@BunSnoop   

Does he take an occasional drink?  For instance if he's a scotch drinker how about a bottle of a high end single malt or his favorite brand of blended?

Does he have any hobbies he still actively pursues?  Gardening, for instance, a gift certificate to his favorite garden center or garden catalogue.

A grinder and fresh coffee beans for his first jolt of a.m. caffeine.

Presentation box with two decks of cards for a solitaire player

Does he still read a daily newspaper--a gift subscription is nice and is a reminder every day of your love.

Honored Contributor

I bought my DH a travel bag last year for around $60.  His bag was falling apart and the one I was looking at had great reviews so I took a chance and ordered it.

I got it from Personalization Mall.  I had it personalized with his initials in blue, but you could have first name, or no personalization if you wish.

I was happily surprised at the size, it was huge and the quality was excellent.  I would have paid a lot more for the quality, but glad I didn't have to.

He uses it to travel from our home to our summer place at the lake. Many of his friends have seen the bag and have ordered it also.  I ordered one for my granddaughter with her name in pink to use as a sports bag.  Check it out.  I highly recommend this bag.

C279A553-1EAD-4B4F-9FC8-F40F3F81D466.jpeg

Honored Contributor

My 84 year old mother has really appreciated food gifts, gifts that contribute to her safety and security at home, gift cards for things she would never think of on her own.   She looked forward to her fruit of the month deliveries, and was thankful my brothers and I paid for work she needed to have done on the house.   

I have enjoyed gifts of donations in my name to special causes; trees planted in my name in places I will never see, donations to veterans groups in my name, etc.   

The most memorable gift my husband and I ever gave was to name a star after a loved one thru International Star Registry.   

Respected Contributor

Maybe a boxed set of DVDs' of some series he might enjoy watching.

Respected Contributor

Harry's shave club membership.  

Honored Contributor

Older men like cardigan sweaters.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment