Super Contributor

Re: Need Christmas gift ideas

OP, Last night, I went to another retailer (hint: Lands E) and ordered matching pajamas for my oldest son and his wife and teen grandson & granddaughter.  I like to give actual gifts to open and not just another gift card.  I did have to check with my daughter-law, to confirm sizes.  Hoping they take pictures Christmas morning, wearing their co-ordinating pjs.

Esteemed Contributor

Ive given a wine refrigerator and a case of wine ( different years) to my out of state son.  Other years we've given him or his wife a Breville chicken fryer pan, an Echo Studio ( high end Echo), Pit Boss smoker, set of Pendleton coffee mugs., and Amazon gift cards (last year).

Regular Contributor

I am very much for not giving people anything you do not KNOW they want now.  There is no point to it and if they don't want it, they feel bad about having it, don't know what to do with it etc.

And sometimes what we assume somewould want they don't.  For me, a spa day would never ever be used; I hate pajamas; and so on.  I'd go with gift cards because I think. money will be tighter and that will be appreciated by so many.

I love the idea of a freezer and a gift card to a butcher shop, good store or even QVC.  I don't see anything wrong with asking people what they would like.  Sometimes the word "surprise" is not a good thing!  LOL!  And I know all about that. . . Woman Embarassed

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for your ideas
I usually ask the one for ideas for the other
I like giving the family gifts and saving personal for birthdays
I also like the hello fresh or such (food prep is challenging)
I already stocked their freezer from Costco with heat and serve after baby born that’s what triggered the chest freezer( since they have an apt size fridge /freezer)
He is my one son who likes to give and get gifts; my other son could care less ( so different)
He likes holidays and is having thanksgiving at his house.
Thanks for your suggestions
Trusted Contributor

I think Amazon gift card if any would be great They love supporting Amazon Smiley Sad
Respected Contributor

@Tuffcookie wrote:

OP, Last night, I went to another retailer (hint: Lands E) and ordered matching pajamas for my oldest son and his wife and teen grandson & granddaughter.  I like to give actual gifts to open and not just another gift card.  I did have to check with my daughter-law, to confirm sizes.  Hoping they take pictures Christmas morning, wearing their co-ordinating pjs.

Last year I gave my son and daughter in law a camo cozy.  They loved it and took a picture and sent to us.  This year we can celebrate together but last year we didn't. Not the same but I tried to make it fun and they loved it.

I used the theme of cozy for their gifts.  This year is kitchen and food.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@springers  I agree about a family gift and filling the freezer with different types of food.  However, be careful with those food subscriptions.  I had one for Hello Fresh and I am probably the only person who is not enamored with the food.  I do  usually keep steaks, burgers, and hot dogs in the freezer (maybe Kansas City), a local company has frozen pasta (ravioli, spaghetti, etc.), and maybe Schwan's (I really know nothing about them but someone on here does).  If they like good seafood, there are many companies online.  Throw in a few bottles of wine or favorite beverage.

As a treat, you might want to get them ice cream delivered.  I usually give DH a 12 pint pack from Graeter's and he really likes that.  You mix and match.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

A gift card to a wonderful restaurant.  A grocery store gift card.  A service to deliver dinner one night.