Honored Contributor

I'll be making about twenty trips up and down the stairs hauling stuff around today. Yesterday I hung the reflective Mylar sheets behind the tree. My first step in setting up the tree is locating and leveling the concrete paver my rotating stand goes on. That rotating stand has a lip around the bottom of it that needs to sit on a solid surface. If you try using it without the paver, one edge of the lip will sink through the carpet padding inducing a tilt, then as the tree rotates that lip will rotate around and that little quarter inch of out of level at the bottom of the tree becomes a two to three foot lean at the top of the tree.

Once the paver is level and the stand is in place I'll put on the bottom section of the tree and test light it. Once I know it lights I'll then start decorating the interior of the bottom section with silver balls and silver plastic icicles. Hidden deep inside the tree these ornaments serve as light multipliers reflecting the tree lights back out.

The next section of the tree then goes on and gets lit. I'll then decorate the interior of that section. Then repeat that with the top section.

Next I move on to place the glass bead garlands around the tree before finally adding the exterior ornaments. The final touch will be putting on four boxes of candy canes that I still haven't bought.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Re: My tree is going up today!

sounds like a lot of work....how many days does it take you to complete....and I hope you will be able to post a picture...good luck.....

Respected Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

I'll be making about twenty trips up and down the stairs hauling stuff around today. Yesterday I hung the reflective Mylar sheets behind the tree. My first step in setting up the tree is locating and leveling the concrete paver my rotating stand goes on. That rotating stand has a lip around the bottom of it that needs to sit on a solid surface. If you try using it without the paver, one edge of the lip will sink through the carpet padding inducing a tilt, then as the tree rotates that lip will rotate around and that little quarter inch of out of level at the bottom of the tree becomes a two to three foot lean at the top of the tree.

Once the paver is level and the stand is in place I'll put on the bottom section of the tree and test light it. Once I know it lights I'll then start decorating the interior of the bottom section with silver balls and silver plastic icicles. Hidden deep inside the tree these ornaments serve as light multipliers reflecting the tree lights back out.

The next section of the tree then goes on and gets lit. I'll then decorate the interior of that section. Then repeat that with the top section.

Next I move on to place the glass bead garlands around the tree before finally adding the exterior ornaments. The final touch will be putting on four boxes of candy canes that I still haven't bought.

Wow, that sounds so pretty.....sparkly,shiny, and reflection all on one tree.  So are you "team white lights" or "team multi-colored" ?  I do hope you post a picture. Happy decorating!🌲🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄

Honored Contributor

It sounds wonderful! DH says "you go guy or girl". Here is the best Christmas tree story from me.When my youngest was about 8 or so he got me one of those ceramic trees-the kind with the little lights. He paid a neighbor  and I am sure she didn't charge him very much. I love that tree. Some years it was the only tree we could afford. Many years later while DH and I were getting Christmas stuff ready I dropped it and it broke. I was so upset I couldn't even look at it. DH repaired it (I didn't know about) and put it in the room where we had planned. When I look at that tree I am reminded of two of the men I love so much.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Respected Contributor

I'll be getting my Christmas decorations and tree down from our storage loft over the garage after Thanksgiving. I have a skinny faux tree that I've used for years. Takes up very little space and I keep the lights on it. Worst time ever was going out to a tree farm and cutting our own. It wasn't quite as dramatic as the Clark Griswold adventure, but picking out a tree in a tree farm is not easy at all. 

Hollywood1.jpg

Here I am a couple years ago. Note how little space the tree uses. A major reason why it has been a Christmas fixture for so long. 

Respected Contributor

I would be putting mine up also, but the past couple of years. DH and I have grown older and weaker and just can't do it on our own anymore. So we have to wait until one of our kids coes around, gets it out of the attic and sets it up for us.  It's hard to have to wait!  Sometimes getting old is the Christmas pits.  I like to put things up early so we can enjoy them more.  

Respected Contributor

Would love to see a picture, Gardenman.  

Respected Contributor

Sounds beautiful.  Reflective backing?  Stratigic decorating by section? Nifty!  WOW, You've got it down to a science.  Why didn't I ever think of that?!  Thanks for sharing your method.  I just might try that decorating by section.  I too would love to see your tree.  Enjoy your day setting up!

Respected Contributor

@ncascade wrote:

It sounds wonderful! DH says "you go guy or girl". Here is the best Christmas tree story from me.When my youngest was about 8 or so he got me one of those ceramic trees-the kind with the little lights. He paid a neighbor  and I am sure she didn't charge him very much. I love that tree. Some years it was the only tree we could afford. Many years later while DH and I were getting Christmas stuff ready I dropped it and it broke. I was so upset I couldn't even look at it. DH repaired it (I didn't know about) and put it in the room where we had planned. When I look at that tree I am reminded of two of the men I love so much.

What a sweet story.  Hope your holiday is wonderful with your two men.

Honored Contributor

And it's up! I started at eight this morning and even after taking a lunch break had it all up and done, with the empty boxes packed away by three. I'm pleased with it. I took some photos using my smart phone and once I get them transferred to the computer I'll post one (or more.) That's assuming they're not too blurry. The tree rotates, so my phone doesn't always do a brilliant job.

I stumbled on decorating one section at a time last year. I just unfold one level of branches at a time, keeping the higher branches still folded up,  and it makes it a snap decorating the interior of the tree.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!