Honored Contributor

Re: My recent visit to Hobby Lobby

Did you notice if prices are the same or higher than last year?  The first thing that comes to mind is tariffs.  If prices are the same, is it possible retailers are buying lower quality because of sticker shock for the quality offered previous years?

If prices are higher for lower quality...shoppers won't buy.  A lesson for retailers that haven't transitioned to other countries that aren't effected by tariffs.  

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio  Yes! And it's not only  Hobby Lobby but Michael's as well. Since I have both within a 10 minute drive, I went into both of them (I can NOT get into the holiday mood so I thought it would help. It did not). and see what was offered; blah was all I can say. It reminds me of when you have money to spend and can't find something to spend it on, lol.

@Foxxee  That is exactly what I thought after going into Michael's! After reading the posts here, I started to think what it was and I guess it's simply cheaper quality of the items. Like a wreath or garland: there is excellent quality for the leaves, cheaper and then junk (dollar store quality where it's very thin, the paint is missing/mismatched, etc). You can see and feel the difference. What I saw was just cheap products across the board yet the prices were still up there for good quality. I couldn't find the top of the line stuff anywhere (usually there is a section where you can pick individual stems and the prices range. All I found there were the cheaper quality items). Perhaps this IS what they're going to carry due to tariffs and in order to have something to sell to customers looking to spend XYZ amount. I don't know. I DO know I walked out with nothing from both stores.

Honored Contributor

Prices have been going up since long before the tariffs. I don’t recall ever paying less for things every holiday season than in the previous one, only more.
Esteemed Contributor

I decorate inside and outside of my home for every season, and have always depended on Hobby Lobby to have everything I am looking for-not purchased from the Q😉. This year was a bit challenging however. The selection of autumn inspired garland for outdoor decorating was dismal compared to previous years😐. Most businesses are suffering for reasons we are all aware of, but hopefully next season things will be as they once were. I still love Hobby Lobby and was able to find some beautiful gifts.

Respected Contributor

I've never been inside a Hobby Lobby.  They seem averse to opening a store in my city.  I'd have to drive across the state or over to the next state to find one.   A puzzlement!

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Respected Contributor

We have a new Hobby Lobby here so I am really loving having such a great resource for supplies for projects.

As for the holiday decor, I was more likely to buy when it was an hour and a half drive away. Now with it just a couple miles down the road, I visit often but don’t feel the urgency to buy.

I kind of feel the same as far as the items being less special and unique than in years past. Hmmmm....have we reached a saturation point maybe ?

Esteemed Contributor

I love Hobby Lobby....I got a few gingerbread things for my kitchen.....some picks and some buffalo plaid ribbon so far.

I see some of the same things they carried last year.

Honored Contributor

Our HL is better than Michaels. Wreaths and garland seemed nice. Some of the decor looks cheaply made, so you have to shop wisely.

Trusted Contributor

Alternatives for Christmas decor are Garnet Hill and Pier 1.  They are especially good for sales after the holidays.  Prices are not what you might find at Hobby Lobby though. Garnet Hill has items not imported from China along with those that are and other countries such as Germany. 

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio Ours was a new store this past summer.  I went in one time and I was done.