Honored Contributor

My recent visit to Hobby Lobby

Our local Hobby Lobby moved this year. They have been in their new location since like January, but I just now got a chance to check them out. 

In the past, I have always found a million things in holiday decor that I just cannot live without. This visit, I can't say how disappointed I am with what I saw. 

There stuff has always been made in China, but this years stuff looks beyond dollar store cheap. In years past I found things that even though made in China, looked elegant and/or well made and substantial.

I don't know that I was looking for anything specific, but I used to be able to find so many things to combine and create a look with, and that would look great in my home. I found not a single thing I would take home even if it was free. 

Wondered if anyone else was terribly underwhelmed with their holiday stuff this year. I saw a few cute things, but nothing I could even remotely say I want. 

Two things were evident to me. I am glad I bought heavily for a couple of years, cause I got great stuff I love,  and second, I probably have too much already, since nothing looks good. I must be maxed out.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: My recent visit to Hobby Lobby

My Hobby Lobby still looks great to me.  It always raises my spirits looking at (whatever) Holiday they are displaying.

I think I'm maxed out too.  Lately I've come out empty-handed, but happy.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio  I've never been to a Hobby Lobby but I totally understand what you are talking about.

I tell people all of the time that everything I get from QVC (with a tiny few exceptions) comes from China.

We see the plastic labels the clothes, etc comes in....it all says China.

My daughter's husband's family lived in Hong Kong for a few years.  

They'd visit often.  She said people who live in Hong Kong will not buy anything made in China because they know what junk it is.

Don't get me started on our medicine...my biggest harp right now.  Up to 90% of our MEDICINE comes from there.

Why should be surprised that other things comes from there?

@Mominohio  Again, good post.

Trusted Contributor

@Mominohio 

I tend to agree with you.  I haven't been to see their Christmas merchandise this year but I was less than impressed with their fall decor.  I did buy a few picks and small fillers for my dining room table centerpiece but nothing else caught my eye at all.  Most of their fall decor appeared cheap looking to me. 

Valued Contributor

I was underwhelmed, too. They have the usual garlands and wreaths along the wall, the usual picks in the one  aisle and the tree section (which seems leaner this year), but the aisles of decor seemed kind of sad to me. There are lots of woodland themed items which are wood construction, but they look poorly constructed and too shabby to a point that they don’t look very charming. I also noticed that the Robert Stanley items which are usually on the tables in the main open area didn’t seem as elegant and grand as in the past. It seems like they scaled back the quality but not the quantity. 

Honored Contributor

My area has many little shops that carry hand made crafts, or just things made locally. I have found over the years that these are the pieces that I bring out every year. I will never set foot in a Hobby Lobby, but I also try and avoid the mass produced stuff from China. I can't do that with most things, but with crafts it's easier.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

I've stopped shopping there completely. 

Esteemed Contributor

We have been so conditioned to shop The Big Box Everything Store that you'll buy no matter what the offerings, right?

My B&M shopping is so limited here that I mostly shop local craft shows, Etsy or even my Amish community and farmer's markets.

Most vendors will take personalized requests. I'm waiting for 2 small tables I ordered from an Amish builder. One is for a tabletop Christmas tree.

It's a great feeling to get an item made just for you.

Honored Contributor

I stopped buying Christmas Decorations years ago.... but I love Hobby Lobby.

We just moved and our house is older.  I've swapped out the cabinet knobs for knobs that are adorable from Hobby Lobby and accentuate the turquoise sink and countertop I have (that I love!).  I waited for their knobs to go on sale (1/2 off) and swooped in....

We also have a great front porch and I found a sign (about 4 feet x 2 feet that is barn-ish looking wood with "Welcome to our Porch" written on it!  I love it!

I also love the sewing department and the art supplies....

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

I buy a lot of art supplies at Hobby Lobby for my granddaughter who is in an advanced art class. The quality of their brands is very good, she tells me.
I also buy faux flowers for the cemetery. I like to do seasonal arrangements for my mother’s and my grandmother’s gravesites. The faux flowers at Hobby Lobby, when they are 1/2 off, lets me buy more so the bouquets are much bigger and look beautiful. The quality is high because the flowers don’t fade in our hot sun or fall apart from the wind. The Hobby Lobby is less than two miles from us so I go in there often. I am at the stage of giving away Christmas decor since I have so much rather than buying a lot of new....but I do buy my Christmas wrap, tags, and Christmas cards there every year. I will buy one new Christmas- something like a snowman or Santa....but not usually. I think their merchandise looks as great as it always has.