Respected Contributor

I know I do not do as much decorating either anymore. When the kids were home, my house was decorated in every downstairs room and then the stairway rail too. Outside the greenery went up around the front door, a wreath on the front door and every window on the front side of the house too! ( My house looked lovely - must say!)

Now - the tree is my focal point! I love my tree!

I do use a few other things that I love - one is my JR egg collection - they are hung from my dining room light and displayed in an antique cabinet with my redware collection. 

To me, anything you take out is not quite so much fun to put away and seems to take me forever... I definitely  do not enjoy that part of it anymore at all... all of a sudden I become a poke and I am never a poke...

But, that part of of it is a long way off... so happy decorating ladies!! 😀🎄

-Texas Hill Country-
Trusted Contributor

I used to love decorating for Christmas, too. It was thrilling when the tree lights came on, and the whole season felt uplifting. That's just not how it feels for me now. I cherish whatever time I spend with family or friends. I love that Christmas day is the quietest day of the year. I always enjoy giving gifts to people. But I don't miss decorating. It just doesn't seem to have any appeal. I lesten to very little of the music, and my feeling about other traditions is that they are optional.

Super Contributor

I hope I never lose the enthusiam to decorate for Christmas!

Valued Contributor

When I think about all the stuff I used to buy when I became enamored of either collecting or shopping I cringe. I still have things I store because I can't come to terms with what I spent or that I will never sell. I don't worry about it anymore because it sits there...and talks to me.  It tells me not to ever buy things that would make their way to the island of misfit toys.  

Honored Contributor

@ILUVChristmas wrote:

Me too! Mostly because of the money I've invested in holiday decor over the decades! To get my money's worth, I figure that I have to fully decorate the house each year until I'm 107! (That's another 50 years for me!) LOL

Valued Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@ILUVChristmas wrote:

Me too! Mostly because of the money I've invested in holiday decor over the decades! To get my money's worth, I figure that I have to fully decorate the house each year until I'm 107! (That's another 50 years for me!) LOL

You can look thru my closet. You can look thru my garage. You can look thru my attic....you can take my care bears, my pet rocks and my grandfathers lopsided lazyboy.

But you will never ever take my Christmas decorations. 

Honored Contributor

@CAMOGIRL wrote:

I know I do not do as much decorating either anymore. When the kids were home, my house was decorated in every downstairs room and then the stairway rail too. Outside the greenery went up around the front door, a wreath on the front door and every window on the front side of the house too! ( My house looked lovely - must say!)

Now - the tree is my focal point! I love my tree!

I do use a few other things that I love - one is my JR egg collection - they are hung from my dining room light and displayed in an antique cabinet with my redware collection. 

To me, anything you take out is not quite so much fun to put away and seems to take me forever... I definitely  do not enjoy that part of it anymore at all... all of a sudden I become a poke and I am never a poke...

But, that part of of it is a long way off... so happy decorating ladies!! 😀🎄

@CAMOGIRL  Did you see JR tree to display the egg ornaments?

Honored Contributor

@KaySD wrote:

I used to love decorating for Christmas, too. It was thrilling when the tree lights came on, and the whole season felt uplifting. That's just not how it feels for me now. I cherish whatever time I spend with family or friends. I love that Christmas day is the quietest day of the year. I always enjoy giving gifts to people. But I don't miss decorating. It just doesn't seem to have any appeal. I lesten to very little of the music, and my feeling about other traditions is that they are optional.

@KaySD- I listen to very little of the music also, if at all.  It's just too much emotion for me.

We've lost a lot of family members (as have we all) and our Christmas is pretty quiet now.  I love to give gifts (it brings me joy) and spend time with the very small families my husband and I both have, but Christmas just isn't the same for me anymore.  

That seemed to put a natural halt, for lack of a better word, for the amount of decorations I bring in.  I'm just really happy with a small tree, my Woof N Poof angels and a Santa I've had since I was a baby.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor
I too have changed in my lust for holiday decor. I changed from when I had children at home, from the more child oriented decor items to more elegant adult type decor. I also don't want every surface covered with basically, stuff, lol. I have collected for years and I love what I have now. I did buy quite a few things last year, but I think this year I bought 2 items and that will be it for this year. My own house looks "junked up" if there is too much stuff and nobody wants that, lol. Also, while I enjoy the decorating, I do not enjoy packing everything away once the holiday is over. I like a more minimal decorating style the rest of the year and will admit that by the day after Christmas, I am ready to get back to that look for my home. For me personally, a month is long enough to have my living space feel cluttered, even though it's cluttered with things that are beautiful.
"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

@Snicks1 wrote:
I too have changed in my lust for holiday decor. I changed from when I had children at home, from the more child oriented decor items to more elegant adult type decor. I also don't want every surface covered with basically, stuff, lol. I have collected for years and I love what I have now. I did buy quite a few things last year, but I think this year I bought 2 items and that will be it for this year. My own house looks "junked up" if there is too much stuff and nobody wants that, lol. Also, while I enjoy the decorating, I do not enjoy packing everything away once the holiday is over. I like a more minimal decorating style the rest of the year and will admit that by the day after Christmas, I am ready to get back to that look for my home. For me personally, a month is long enough to have my living space feel cluttered, even though it's cluttered with things that are beautiful.

That is a very true statement.

I think more of us than will admit, love to put together beautiful holiday rooms and homes, but just underneath, we can only handle the excess clutter of the holiday for so long. I know I fall into that category more every year.

I still love it, and don't want to stop doing it yet, but there is a little more satisfaction each January, when things come down and the house can 'breath' again, than there was the year before.

I think a key to reducing holiday decor, for me, has been the ability to pick a theme, and buy things to build a room in that theme, especially with bigger statement pieces.

When younger, I had a mish mash of smaller things collected over time, with no real connection. So it always seemed I needed 'more'. 

Once I could afford to build a theme, or get bigger more expensive pieces, I found that fewer things speak louder than the many.

Still have too much I don't use, and hesitate to get rid of it, but will work on that!