Respected Contributor

My, how I have changed.

[ Edited ]

I used to have a rotating christmas tree, gingerbread theme kitchen, beaded fruit in the dining room decor, 2 trees, the whole deal.  Then we downsized so less room, fewer flat surfaces.  Not to mention we are getting older. This year the Jim Shore items are going on ebay.  We have 2 adult sons, no grandchildren.  I finally came to the realization guys don't care for a lot of decor in their way

Now I have a plastic tub of Hallmark oranaments to move on Yes, someone thinks I should take photos f each one and try t sell but there are so many.

Trusted Contributor

I have done the same thing when trying to downsize.  Christmas still came, and I was still happy.  There is a time and season for all things in life.

Honored Contributor

Re: My, how I have changed.

[ Edited ]

@traveler wrote:

I used to have a rotating christmas tree, gingerbread theme kitchen, beaded fruit in the dining room decor, 2 trees, the whole deal.  Then we downsized so less room, fewer flat surfaces.  Not to mention we are getting older. This year the Jim Shore items are going on ebay.  We have 2 adult sons, no grandchildren.  I finally came to the realization guys don't care for a lot of decor in their way

Now I have a plastic tub of Hallmark oranaments to move on Yes, someone thinks I should take photos f each one and try t sell but there are so many.

@traveler  I have given all of my collection of Hallmark ornaments (about 110) to our local homeless shelter 2 yrs ago without looking back and only kept 3...

As for my Jim Shore collection, it's less than 20 pcs and I display 3-5 at any given time throughout the year.

My tastes in decor has changed drastically. I am done with gingerbread and candy cane themes and 90% of Santas. I kept 2 of LR's Santas and have a couple of JS Santas now...but that's it.

My decorating taste is an eclectic combo of traditional/retro/vintage/country/log cabin/wildlife and I'm content with it that way  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Susan Louise wrote:

@traveler wrote:

@traveler  I have given all of my collection of Hallmark ornaments (about 110) to our local homeless shelter 2 yrs ago without looking back and only kept 3...

As for my Jim Shore collection, it's less than 20 pcs and I display 3-5 at any given time throughout the year.

My tastes in decor has changed drastically. I am done with gingerbread and candy cane themes and 90% of Santas. I kept 2 of LR's Santas and have a couple of JS Santas now...but that's it.

My decorating taste is a eclectic combo of traditional/retro/vintage/country/log cabin/wildlife and I'm content with it that way  Smiley Happy

I was going to suggest the homeless shelters too. You have to figure if they can't do food very easily, that decorating stuff, sure wouldn't be bought.  I guess all us "downsizers" would do well to remember those places too. **

Respected Contributor

Dear TRAVELER.... please make sure you check out the prices on e-bay

for Hallmark Ornaments ... I was suprised .....

Respected Contributor

@traveler There is an eBay program where you can drop your items at a Fed Ex store and an independent party will sell them and share the proceeds with you.  Look up eBay valet.  

Respected Contributor

Not having kids, we were never big into decorating for any holiday...few things to sit around at Christmas, a 6 ft. tree, and a Nativity on the mantel. I did buy the Harry Slatkin Octagon Gingerbread house today, but that's the 1st thing in a couple of years. We don't do garland, wreaths on every window, or really any outdoor decoration (our house can't be seen from the road). We're lucky if we get a wreath up on the front door!

Since we started hosting my DH's big family Thanksgiving & Easter gatherings, I do decorate some for those holidays.

Honored Contributor

I still like to watch and read what everyone's getting and share in everyone's joy, but I have significantly downsized our Christmas things. And I'm happy as a clam about it. I just don't want all that "stuff" anymore and in my mind I just see it as stuff and clutter. Maybe that's not so "healthy" but it's how I feel. 

Maybe that just comes from age, or cleaning out my parents house last year (which was not cluttered at all, but they still had a lot), but I'm just not interested in bringing a ton of things in anymore. 

As @mac116 said, Christmas still came and I was still happy, even with our minimal decorations.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

It is funny how we change as life goes on, kids are grown and out of the house, no grandkids at this time..........So anyway, I still enjoy decorating somewhat but also have streamlined my collection.  I do still love ChristmastimeSmiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I will look up an ebay valet. I have a lot of collectibles I would just like to move on. TY. 

When I moved from MI to AK I sold, donated and tossed stuff.  But after moving we seemed to accumulate stuff again.