Respected Contributor

Re: My holiday decor is still up!

Try not to be so hard on yourself, @Mominohio -- you'll get it done when the time is right for you.  Give yourself a pat on the back for getting through a hard season.

Valued Contributor

@Mominohio 

I like your organized method of storing the room's decor in the actual room it's displayed in and I wish I could do the same.

My house has very little storage areas or perhaps it's my lack of organizational skills.

I remember the time I walked through my house before we purchased it.  I opened the cabinet doors under the bathroom sink to check for any leaks.  To my surprise, this was where the original owner stored some Christmas decor and I now understand why. 

Honored Contributor

I don't think you are alone @Mominohio . Just this weekend my husband and I were talking about how many homes still have all their Christmas Lights lit every night.

I still have all my candles in my windows and decided to keep them there til they require a battery change. 

Valued Contributor

WHY are we so hard on ourselves to rip Christmas down by a particular date …. Is there an expiration date somewhere or will the “neighbors” talk we still have our tree up ??  WHO CARES !!  We LOVE to look at it yet feel such pressure to take it down. Maybe not keep it up until March, but at least thru January to enjoy !!

Honored Contributor

@queendiva wrote:

@Mominohio : if it makes you feel any better I just took my tree down yesterday.

The tree goes up the weekend following Thanksgiving, along with outdoor decor. They are the first things up. I have enjoyed having the tree up during these long, cold, dark nights. It's getting dark after 5 most days now. I always leave my tree up until the end of January. It takes me days to decorate it, so I get the most enjoyment from it that I can.

I still have a winter display on my entry chest, including VPH's set of 3 lighted silver tone orbs. Even DS commented on them in a positive way. That display will come down by the end of this week. I'm just letting the batteries play out at this point. A few winter touches around the house when that's gone. The rest is packed up and put away in the basement or garage until after Thanksgiving once again.

@queendiva 

And here I thought I was the only one that let the batteries play out as the goal for when certain things get put away for the season! LOL

I do the same thing. If certain items are still working on timers and the batteries haven't given out, they are often still in the decor! I just hate having a bunch of half used batteries laying around!

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Mominohio 

It's your home.  Just do what feels comfortable to you.

I really like the idea of storing each room's decorations in that room;  I can do a little of that but not much.

This is a process @ECBG , that I came up with several years ago, and thought I'd give it a try. I have to admit that not every single thing will fit in some of the rooms, like the big wreaths that go on the doors still need to be stored in the basement, and the tree as well, but it has made such a difference in how much time, stress and effort is involved in getting decor up and down for the holiday season. It cut the mess made by a huge amount. 

In case we have others that are new here, I'll use this space to explain what I did. 

I stopped storing things all wrapped up in tubs and boxes. I stopped storing everything in one or two out of the way places. That was requiring many trips up and down steps (four level house), boxes out. Boxes emptied, boxes returned to storage. Only to, in 6 or 8 weeks, have to run up and down the stairs again, retrieving the boxes, packing the boxes, and running the boxes up and down the steps again to store. It got to be defeating. 

First, I trimmed back the number of rooms I decorate. Nothing on the upstairs level gets holiday decor (bathrooms and three bedrooms and a hallway). Just this step eliminated a whole area of the house that no one but us sees, from needing special attention at this time of the year. 

Next, I stopped using a ton of  little stuff. Like most people, I had collected nice and lovely Christmas decor throughout the years, a little at a time as I could afford it. Much of it was lovely, some even quite high end. But there was a lot, and there often was no really cohesive look to it. So I spent a couple of years actually choosing a theme, color palate, or design for each area I was going to keep decorating, and I invested in complete matching/coordinating things to make each room seem like it was a curated collection (actually it was!). With that new, streamlined and curated look, I found I could create a great look with so many fewer pieces and decorate fewer surfaces in each room. 

Then I realized that in most rooms, I had pieces of furniture that could be used just for storing those holiday pieces. In the living room, a big old wooden trunk I had inherited that goes back many generations in my family. In my kitchen, a deep good sized cabinet above the fridge that never seemed suitable or easy to access for general everyday kitchen needs. A few storage benches we were using at the foot of some chairs for foot stools. A front hall closet that the floor space would accommodate more collapsible storage benches for storing holiday items, with coats hanging above them. 

It's made all the difference in the world in time, effort, and wear and tear on the knees to do it this way. As I decorate for the holidays, the 'regular' decor fits inside the spaces where the holiday stuff is coming out. At the end of the season, just reverse the process. 

It's really been a game changer for me. I highly recommend it to those that have the space and the right pieces to make it happen. 

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio 

Most of my family is here, so I don't have over night company unless it's the grandsons.

I don't decorate the upstairs at all.

I over did decorations in the early 90's and couldn't breathe.

Respected Contributor

This was an odd year for us.  As the result of some timing issues, Christmas decor didn't go up until December 1.  So, I didn't get some of the things out, like the big garlands, because we were leaving on December 15.  January 1 fell on a Saturday and we had been home for two days, so being well-rested, I decided to put all the Christmas decor away.  Since there was somewhat less decor than normal, the process was a bit faster and definitely left less sparkle/glitter residue which meant less vacuuming.  It was a nice change to start the new year with a tidy house.

I love @Mominohio 's  idea of storing items in the room where they are used, but I tend to move things around from year to year.  I do need to donate a few items.  My 2022 project is to get the garage where most things are stored back into tidy shape.  I've let it get cluttered the last two years.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

I have all my Santas put away and all the decorations off the trees, but the trees are heavily flocked with white lights and look soo "wintery" with snowmen around. I have 6 of Valerie's twinkling birch trees in different areas of the house too, along with more snowmen.

I leave the Dickens Christmas Village up in the bay window too. It looks so pretty with the snow falling outside behind it.

Sure looks pretty sitting around in the evenings...

@Nataliesgramma   That sounds absolutely lovely!

I still have my tree up as well. It's not flocked, but I decorated it this year with lots of flocked and glistening picks, no ornaments.  It does indeed look like a winter wonderland at night with the warm white lights lit up.  We've had two snowstorms already, and I cannot tell you what a joy it was to watch the snow fall from my sofa with my tree in the foreground inside and warm.

I'm not giving myself a date for taking my tree down, especially since I may be discarding it completely this year (some of the lights didn't come on).  

I took down everything else --- all the garlands, wreaths, and my snowman.  All the outside decorations put away as well.  

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio I don't have it stored in the room it's used in necessarily, but this year I took a BIG step in the right direction by tossing almost everything that didn't get used this year! I don't change themes so this works for me. My tree ornaments now fit in a box on my laundry room shelf, my "sit-arounds" in a living room cabinet. The only thing still stored in DH's workshop is the tree!