Trusted Contributor

Re: My attempt at making velvet pumpkins

Wow!  Those look like they came from a store.  You are very talented!

Respected Contributor

@itsmetoo  Those pumpkins are BEAUTIFUL!!!  I didn't read through all the posts, but if you could, would you please let us know how you made the pumpkins.  If they're as easy as you say, I might try tackling a few.  TIA.

Trusted Contributor

@coffee drinker wrote:

@itsmetoo  Those pumpkins are BEAUTIFUL!!!  I didn't read through all the posts, but if you could, would you please let us know how you made the pumpkins.  If they're as easy as you say, I might try tackling a few.  TIA.

Thank you, @coffee drinker, for the kind words. They are very fast and easy to make. Using a dinner plate, charger, salad plate, etc for a guide trace a circle onto your velvet. It doesn't have to be exact. After cutting it out just loosely gather the edge leaving about a 1/4" seam allowance. After stuffing with fiberfill (and a little rice at the bottom if you want it weighted) pull the gathers tight to close the opening and then stitch it closed. Then just glue on your pumpkin stem. That's it! I used real pumpkin stems I saved from last year. They should be dried out. 

A few tips. Use upholstery thread or dental floss so it doesn't break when you pull your gathers. I think you can dry out your pumpkin stems in the oven if you have fresh ones. You can Google that. Also, before gluing your stem on you can run your needle from the top to the bottom of the pumpkin and pull it to give it more of a pumpkin shape instead of a ball. And lastly, you need to cut a big circle. Once gathered the pumpkin is much smaller than you'd think. I posted a second picture (post 21 in this thread) that was made with a salad plate. Those are small. Have fun! I just bought some more velvet in different colors to make some more. They are addicting!

Respected Contributor

@itsmetoo  Thank you so very much for those instructions.  Now onto the hunt for some velvel fabric.  Who needs Valerie's stuff???  Just kidding!!!

Trusted Contributor

@coffee drinker wrote:

@itsmetoo  Thank you so very much for those instructions.  Now onto the hunt for some velvel fabric.  Who needs Valerie's stuff???  Just kidding!!!

@coffee drinker

You're welcome!  What I actually used is panne stretch velvet.  It's a lot cheaper than regular velvet and works perfectly.  Got mine at both Joann's and Hobby Lobby.  Please post some pictures if you make them!

Respected Contributor

@itsmetoo  I was thinking of hitting thrift stores and looking for something (dress or whatever) in velvet that's probably less expensive than buying from a fabric store.  Just a thought.  

Valued Contributor

@itsmetoo

I just saw your velvet pumpkins...  they are so beautiful!