Honored Contributor

Re: My attempt at making velvet pumpkins

@itsmetoo wrote:

@Regal Bee wrote:

@itsmetoo  Absolutely stunning.....what a wonderful job you have done.

Velvet pumpkins are more popular than ever. I have seen at least a dozen blog posts on them in the last two weeks.

Thank you, @Regal Bee.  I'm glad to hear they are as popular as ever since I am so late in getting on the velvet pumpkin bandwagon!  I'm hooked now though!

@itsmetoo  I bought my first velvet pumpkin last year at zulily, and MANY more, also Amazon, and now Etsy.

Respected Contributor

@itsmetoo wrote:

@Regal Bee wrote:

Velvet pumpkins are more popular than ever. I have seen at least a dozen blog posts on them in the last two weeks.

Thank you, @Regal Bee.  I'm glad to hear they are as popular as ever since I am so late in getting on the velvet pumpkin bandwagon!  I'm hooked now though!

@itsmetoo  Yes, I am happy they are so popular also. I have seen several blogs that are offering some super expensive ones as a giveaway.

You have inspired me. I have asked for some stems from our church pumpkin patch this year and I think I will make some. 

Again, yours are just delightful!

Honored Contributor

I love them!

Honored Contributor

They look great!  Thanks for the pictures.

Trusted Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@itsmetoo wrote:

@Regal Bee wrote:

@itsmetoo  I bought my first velvet pumpkin last year at zulily, and MANY more, also Amazon, and now Etsy.

@mousiegirlFrom your pictures that I've seen you have some beautiful ones. I need to check out those sources again. Do you stick with a color theme or buy any and all colors?  I bought a black one today for Halloween.

Trusted Contributor

@Regal Bee wrote:

@itsmetoo wrote:

@Regal Bee wrote:

@itsmetoo  Yes, I am happy they are so popular also. I have seen several blogs that are offering some super expensive ones as a giveaway.

You have inspired me. I have asked for some stems from our church pumpkin patch this year and I think I will make some. 

@Regal Bee

Thanks!  

Truth be told, I'd still display them even if they weren't popular any more.  lol  I just can't bring myself to pay what they are asking for those super expensive ones.

You are so lucky to have a source for your stems.  I'm limited to how many I can make because I don't have that many stems from last year but I'll be saving mine again this year.  What I had a problem with was finding fabric.  I hope you'll post pictures of yours after you've made them.  Anything you do is spectacular so I can only imagine how great they will be!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@itsmetoo wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@itsmetoo wrote:

@Regal Bee wrote:

@mousiegirlFrom your pictures that I've seen you have some beautiful ones. I need to check out those sources again. Do you stick with a color theme or buy any and all colors?  I bought a black one today for Halloween.

@itsmetoo  I have never seen black, perfect for Halloween.  As I mentioned, I am having some purple made for Halloween.  I don't decorate much for that since DD grew up, but I bought the large Jim Shore Halloween cat, so have to display it, lol, thus the purple pumpkins to match the cat.  

The colors that I can remember that I have are orange, bronze, beige, dark green, lime green, chocolate, navy, this one came in a set and I thought it was purple, but it doesn't look bad, bought yellow and cream this year, and a mauve, also red, violet, all velvet, then I have sets of burlap, jute, carved wood, courdoroy, and beaded, a lot are small.  They were not expensive, but I have seen some very expensive, I stay away from those. Glass, on the way if it survives.

I have Valerie's mini mercury glass lit pumpkins from years ago, also large lit pumpkins.  I can't use all every year, but I use a lot, I am not a minimalist, lol.

Lasat year, I had a cream theme in one area, it turned out beautiful, but won't display that this year, displaying Halloween there instead.  Mainly, I stick with autumn colors, different shades of orange, burgundy,  Here is a small sample from last year.

DSCF5286.JPGDSCF5326.JPGDSCF5292.JPGDSCF5294.JPGDSCF5291.JPG

Honored Contributor

@itsmetoo wrote:

@Regal Bee wrote:

@itsmetoo wrote:

@Regal Bee wrote:

@Regal Bee

Thanks!  

Truth be told, I'd still display them even if they weren't popular any more.  lol  I just can't bring myself to pay what they are asking for those super expensive ones.

You are so lucky to have a source for your stems.  I'm limited to how many I can make because I don't have that many stems from last year but I'll be saving mine again this year.  What I had a problem with was finding fabric.  I hope you'll post pictures of yours after you've made them.  Anything you do is spectacular so I can only imagine how great they will be!

@itsmetoo  Have you looked at ebay, etsy, amazon, other craft stores for stems?  I see real and others when I am browsing.

Trusted Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@itsmetoo wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@itsmetoo wrote:

@Regal Bee wrote:

@itsmetoo  I have never seen black, perfect for Halloween.  As I mentioned, I am having some purple made for Halloween.  I don't decorate much for that since DD grew up, but I bought the large Jim Shore Halloween cat, so have to display it, lol, thus the purple pumpkins to match the cat.  

The colors that I can remember that I have are orange, bronze, beige, dark green, lime green, chocolate, navy, this one came in a set and I thought it was purple, but it doesn't look bad, bought yellow and cream this year, and a mauve, also red, violet, all velvet, then I have sets of burlap, jute, carved wood, courdoroy, and beaded, a lot are small.  They were not expensive, but I have seen some very expensive, I stay away from those. Glass, on the way if it survives.

I have Valerie's mini mercury glass lit pumpkins from years ago, also large lit pumpkins.  I can't use all every year, but I use a lot, I am not a minimalist, lol.

Lasat year, I had a cream theme in one area, it turned out beautiful, but won't display that this year, displaying Halloween there instead.  Mainly, I stick with autumn colors, different shades of orange, burgundy,  Here is a small sample from last year.

@mousiegirl wrote:

@itsmetoo wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@itsmetoo wrote:

@Regal Bee wrote:

Just beautiful, @mousiegirl! You have quite a collection! Thanks for sharing your pictures.

Trusted Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@itsmetoo wrote:

@Regal Bee wrote:

@itsmetoo wrote:

@Regal Bee wrote:

@Regal Bee

Thanks!  

@itsmetoo  Have you looked at ebay, etsy, amazon, other craft stores for stems?  I see real and others when I am browsing.

@mousiegirl

Yes, I have seen them when I've been browsing too.  I still have a few left so will probably just use those for now.  After that I doubt I'll make any more this year.