Trusted Contributor

I wish I was about to embark on the writing of a gushing, positive review, but unfortunately, that's not going to happen.  My 3 sets of Slatkin 3-wicks arrived today.  I received one set of Deck the Halls/Trim the Tree and two sets of Frozen Balsam/Winter Fireside.  All sets arrived intact, and the packaging was fine.  

In general, I was surprised that the candles did not smell very strong.  Based on what others had written, I was expecting to take off the lids and be punched in the face with a strong throw.  I really had to stick my nose in to get the scents.  Here is a rundown of what I got from each of the four candles:

Deck the Halls:  My first thought was this is an exact replica of Yankee Candle's Balsam & Cedar.  It's all pine, and it's not really a pleasing pine.  It's kind of a pine scent you'd get in a cheap, dollar store candle.  I'm not pleased with this scent at all.  There are no multiple layers in this.  Just pine.

Trim the Tree: My first thought was cranberries and apples. The scent description says there is balsam, but I don't smell any of that.  It is mostly a cranberry scent.  If you've smelled BBW's Cranberry Woods, then I think you'd recognize this.  There's also an artificial sweetness to it which kind of makes the scent a little cloying.  There's a little hint of the Nest Candle, "Holiday" in it, too.  I don't hate it, but I'm not impressed at all.

Frozen Balsam:  It's a copycat of "Winter" from BBW.  It's not bad, but it's nothing I haven't smelled before in a candle I could purchase for a fraction of the cost.

Winter Fireside:  It's a copycat of "Fireside" from BBW.  Nothing else I can really say, because it's an exact replica.  It's one of my favorite scents for winter after the holidays are over.

So, I'm definitely returning the set of Deck the Halls/Trim the Tree, because I find them cheap and cloying.  I will most likely hold on to the two sets of Frozen Balsam/Winter Fireside to either give as gifts or perhaps burn myself.  They are attractive candles, and I'm always looking for something to burn in the Winter after the holidays are over.  Which brings me to a very sad point.  None of these four scents captured the smell of Christmas for me.   For me, a pine candle only works if it's scent is mixed well with other notes to soften the smell.  I love "Evergreen" from BBW and "Frasier FIr" from Woodwick, because they accomplish that "rounding" of the pine scent in those candles.  I really hoped that Harry was going to be bringing me the scent of the holidays this year, but for me, he totally missed the mark.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: My Slatkin 3-Wick Review

@TenderMercies  Sorry you had a bad experience w/these candles.  For some reason or other, I just couldn't get into all the hype re HS candles and stuff.  Don't know why.  Maybe I couldn't justify the price and that anything would be worth that price.  Just a feeling.  I'll stick w/my Yankee candles and Luminaras.

Esteemed Contributor

Well it was more of us consumers who really built up the hype.

Can't really blame Q as much as those of us who wanted Harry back.

Those of us  who enjoyed the charm of the Slatkin products sold at BBW and then carried on Q  noticed a real upgrade from the scents at BBW and the quality of the figurals leaving  Yankee Candle and the rest in the dust.

When the Slatkin line left BBW the underlying cheap chemical smell just became their trademark scents.  Yankee Candles always smell odd to me and have never been a fan. 

I cannot tolerate chemicals, perfumes and odd scents. 

Essential oils are different story.

That being said the candles I got were great and the scents lovely.

The packing was impecable and the prices high but it has been since Harry left that I have purchase any candles.

Only Christmas can capture Christmas - can't ask to much from a candle.

Respected Contributor

I just got those sets today & LOVE them. I think they're loaded with scent. In fact I just lit the Deck the Halls, & the scent has already traveled into the entire first floor of the house. 

As far as B&BW goes, they got those scents FROM Harry when he designed candles for them. After he left, their quality went way downhill. 

I'm crazy about these! So sorry you don't care for them. It's like fragrance- we all have a different "nose".

Heart

Respected Contributor

hopi. Smiley Happy

I so agree about YC- all I smell is fake chemicals. They give me a headache. 

Respected Contributor

I totally agree with @spot555, however I am the first to admit scents, strength of the scent throw, etc. is truly a personal thing & can't be judged accordingly.  @TenderMercies, I will be happy to take your returns!  

Honored Contributor

@TenderMercies  I'm so sorry that the candles didn't measure up to your expectations.  I don't think you are alone in that feeling. 

I had so many other things that I wanted to buy so I passed on the  HS candles.  I, for one, have no problem with Yankee or BBW candles.  I have favorite scents and some I dislike in both brands.  But, HS will have some that I love and others not so much.  It was like that when he was at BBW.  I collected his Luminaries and still have several, they were well made back then and I enjoyed displaying them.

I don't buy Dollar store candles  but I do have a limit to what I'll pay for a candle.  I dig out out a lot of them and use my warmer rather than burning them in the jar.

Again, I'm sorry for your disappointment.  Just go back to your tried and true ones and enjoy. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

lucymo

You're absolutely right....buy what makes you happy! As you can probably tell, HS candles do that for me.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@spot555 wrote:

lucymo

You're absolutely right....buy what makes you happy! As you can probably tell, HS candles do that for me.  Smiley Happy

@spot555  Yes, of course.  If we all loved the same thing it would be rather boring, wouldn't it? What one loves the other may not.

I bought a lot of HS candles when he was at BBW and no denying he has some great scents.  But, like all other brands, some are not good in some way, scent or throw. I've read mixed reviews on these and it makes me sad because everyone was so excited to be able to get HS candles again.  I'm happy to hear that you love yours and I'll try them again at some point, I'm sure.

Thanks for the review and I will have to try them and see if my memory is messing with me or not.  lol

Respected Contributor

I agree throw definitely does vary according to the scents. I think that probably happens with most brands. 

I bought another brand of 3-wick candle in a huge glass jar, & couldn't even smell the scent when I stood next to it. I actually picked up the lit candle & brought it to my nose- I could barely detect a scent. Now that was a waste of money!