Honored Contributor

Re: My Reindeer

[ Edited ]

@BabyYoda wrote:

@lucymo Thanks for sharing your reindeer collection! You have quite a collection there. All different ones and colors and styles. It's like that with my snowman collection. I have not counted mine. Just put them out in each room and they stay put all winter. Your reindeer can stay out all winter too. 

@BabyYoda  Yes, the deer can stay out.  Please post pic of your snowpeople when you get them out.  You know how we all love to see the pictures of other folks collections.  Smiley Happy 

I'm glad you enjoyed seeing the deer.  It is like all collections, it just got out of hand.  I still have trouble passing by deer without buying.

Honored Contributor

@DecorDiva wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@DecorDiva wrote:

@lucymo - I see some real beauties in there!  Can you tell me how you store them?  In the original boxes?  As someone who has an abundance of Christmas decor, I'm also interested to hear how people deal with the storage problem. 

@DecorDiva

I know you weren't specifically asking me, but I have recently changed my holiday decor storage (when packing up last season) and I'm anxious to see if I get the results I anticipated. I've posted about it before, so if you already know this, sorry, and scroll on by.

I used to either save original packaging (mostly for things with parts that would easily break off, like deer antlers) or wrap each piece in bubble wrap, tissue or old towels before packing. 

The storage was taking up way too much space, so last year I realized I had a lot of ineffectively used storage space in my rooms that I decorate, so decided to store the holiday decor in the room in which it is displayed. I have those VPH (and other brands) ottomans and storage benches and a couple of antique trunks. I emptied those out, and layered in the holiday decor for each room, in each room, in those pieces. I didn't wrap things much, just layered heavy stuff on the bottom, lighter things on top, with a thin layer of something in between each layer. 

The goal was to avoid steps lots of boxes and wrap, make things go up and come down and put away much quicker. 

When I decorate this year, I'll be seeing just how well this works. I put the couple of deer I have in with the rest, and am hoping I haven't made a mistake. The ottomans/storage benches/trunks don't get moved around or bumped around much, and I expect things to be ok when unpacked. 

I plan to post an update thread after getting this year's decor up to let folks know how that turns out.

@Mominohio - I welcome any and all ideas for easier stroage.  I did read your previous post on your new  storage system.  It sounds like it should work to me.  For this to work for me, I would have to drastically reduce the quantity of things I have.  Moving towards your philosophy of having items that can stay out all year long is a good one.  Every year I bring out different things, and of course, buy new as well (herein lies the problem).  The toting, unpacking, repacking and toting back into storage is really starting to take the fun out of it.  I'll stay tuned!

@DecorDiva

Just for full disclosure, I do still have an entire closet of Christmas decor in the spare bedroom. It is mostly my older stuff, that I haven't used in the last year or two. I have to make some decisions about that stuff, and let go of a bunch of it. It also has a huge tub of Christmas things that I'm passing on to my son, as most were purchased for him when he was a child as gifts from his grandmother. Nice music boxes, snow globes etc. He just isn't at the place in his life to move out and take these yet (just turned 20) so storing things I want to save for him is taking up valuable space too!

Honored Contributor

@DecorDiva  As for storing my Reindeer, they are never packed.  I have a cabinet in storage that they just stand in.  It's very hard to pack the deer because it seems like their legs and antlers break easily.  The cabinet is deep and has two shelves and I manage to get them all in there by storing small ones under the taller standing ones. 

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl@SHOPR, Are these some that you wanted to see closer?  100_2989.jpg100_2985.jpg100_2983.jpg

The last one is the piece that I got from CB when I got the nativity.  It is very nice for the price but the downside is that it doesn't have a timer.

Respected Contributor

@lucymo wrote:

@BabyYoda wrote:

@lucymo Thanks for sharing your reindeer collection! You have quite a collection there. All different ones and colors and styles. It's like that with my snowman collection. I have not counted mine. Just put them out in each room and they stay put all winter. Your reindeer can stay out all winter too. 

@BabyYoda  Yes, the deer can stay out.  Please post pic of your snowpeople when you get them out.  You know how we all love to see the pictures of other folks collections.  Smiley Happy 

I'm glad you enjoyed seeing the deer.  It is like all collections, it just got out of hand.  I still have trouble passing by deer without buying.

@lucymo I will do my best to post a photo. I am technically challenged and perhaps DH can help me post it. I do enjoy seeing everyone's decorating and getting ideas from them. I totally understand why deer are your weakness as we all have something we gravitate towards that gives us joy in collecting. It's nice to look at our decor and makes us smile. 

Super Contributor

Thanks for posting more pics, you have a really beautiful collection and i spot a yorkie friend on the floor, so cute!!

Honored Contributor

Re: My Reindeer

[ Edited ]

@lucymo wrote:

@mousiegirl@SHOPR, Are these some that you wanted to see closer?  100_2989.jpg100_2985.jpg100_2983.jpg

The last one is the piece that I got from CB when I got the nativity.  It is very nice for the price but the downside is that it doesn't have a timer.

@lucymo wrote:

@lucymo  The trees look huge, or are they on a table?  Fantastic deer you have. Smiley Happy  Do you have a Yorkie?  I have a Golden Yorkie, the deer chaser, lol.

The white deer in the center is beautiful, and would look wonderful in my red room. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@DarlingDino wrote:

Thanks for posting more pics, you have a really beautiful collection and i spot a yorkie friend on the floor, so cute!!

@DarlingDino  Yes, his name is Lennon (for John) and he's seven years old.  I'll let him know you asked about him. Smiley Happy

I'm done posting deer pics now.  I'll wait for someone else to post their pictures.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl  The lighted deer and tree piece is about 14" tall (trees). It is a pretty sparkly piece. The white deer you mentioned is part of a pair and Valerie had those a few years ago, not sure exactly.

Yes, our Yorkie is named Lennon (for John) and he's seven years old.  He likes to Rabbit hunt and chase squirrels up the trees.  He also will chase dogs, small or large, from our yard. We hold him up in front of the mirror to show him that he's too small to scare those dogs but he goes after them anyway.

Esteemed Contributor

@lucymo- I love reindeer and met a few live in Norway....a beautiful animal.   I particularly like the bottom right very elegant.  I couldn't see all of them but do you have the Jim Shore from QVC? I have a mix of deer but not a collection as big as yours.  I also collect Patience Brewster deer which are a bit whimsical for such a regal animal but I love them too!