Respected Contributor

Most Disappointing CIJ in Years

I apologize in advance for my negativity, but I love CIJ.  I look forward to CIJ for months and this had to be the most disappointing offering from QVC in years!  The programs harkened back to the days when CIJ was simply a way to get rid of old inventory.  Then, some genius came up with the idea of introducing the best new products of the holiday season during July and we rejoiced, had CIJ parties both on the forums and in real life and blew our budgets on new decor and gifts.  Sadly, this year, I finished the weekend almost empty handed with the exception being Valerie's lantern auto-delivery.

For those of you who filled your carts, I hope you enjoy your purchases.  For those of you, like me, who were bored, I guess we can celebrate our lack of spending and get back to the pursuits of summer without the prospect of box-filled visits from UPS/USPS. As I said to one of you earlier in the weekend, this was definitely a case of Ho, Ho, Humdrum!

Honored Contributor

Re: Most Disappointing CIJ in Years

I wasn't buying this weekend, but wasn't tempted in the shows I watched.  I didn't look at the lineup for the shows I didn't watch.

Honored Contributor

@Marsha2003 wrote:

I apologize in advance for my negativity, but I love CIJ.  I look forward to CIJ for months and this had to be the most disappointing offering from QVC in years!  The programs harkened back to the days when CIJ was simply a way to get rid of old inventory.  Then, some genius came up with the idea of introducing the best new products of the holiday season during July and we rejoiced, had CIJ parties both on the forums and in real life and blew our budgets on new decor and gifts.  Sadly, this year, I finished the weekend almost empty handed with the exception being Valerie's lantern auto-delivery.

For those of you who filled your carts, I hope you enjoy your purchases.  For those of you, like me, who were bored, I guess we can celebrate our lack of spending and get back to the pursuits of summer without the prospect of box-filled visits from UPS/USPS. As I said to one of you earlier in the weekend, this was definitely a case of Ho, Ho, Humdrum!

@Marsha2003  I think it's a sign of the times, but I agree, it was not an exciting CIJ, but in a way, I am relieved as I usually buy way too much.  Aside from the candles, I found a few items to buy, but remember, Valerie will be back on the 29th, and most likely, many times by November.

Honored Contributor

I didn't watch even a minute. It's long been clear to me that QVC is in a self-made rut and has been now for several years, regardless of the season. It's the same types of merchandise (if not the exact same merchandise) over and over and, I'm sorry, but nothing can make it fresh, interesting or 'new'... or, for that matter, worth watching, or certainly, worth buying.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

A good lesson! It's July, so enjoy THIS season. There's plenty of time to ho-ho-ho later! And I'll be right there with you. For now, relax: Happy summer! I spent a happy weekend in the water and lolling on the porch. 

Respected Contributor

I bought a number of items, but over all I have to agree with your assessment.

Something else different this CIJ was the hard sell methods on the TSVs by knocking their competitors.  I found it very distasteful.  I'm not talking about the generalized comparisons, but rather calling out the attributes of the major competitors product that makes it very clear who they are trashing.  It's the marketing equivalent to political mudslinging.

Respected Contributor

@libbyannE wrote:

A good lesson! It's July, so enjoy THIS season. There's plenty of time to ho-ho-ho later! And I'll be right there with you. For now, relax: Happy summer! I spent a happy weekend in the water and lolling on the porch. 

I don't find it to be a "good lesson" at all.  Believe it or not, I can enjoy this season and still enjoy venturing into the world of Christmas.  I spent the afternoon playing with my grandkids in the pool, and STILL had time to do some Christmas shopping.  By the time you get around to ho-ho-ho, I'll be done and sitting back enjoying the atmosphere.

Honored Contributor

@libbyannE wrote:

@libbyannE  I spent from 9:00-1:00 gardening, came in for Valerie's show, went back outside, and came in half an hour before Jill's show to take a shower and make a potato salad for dinner.  It was a fun break, and now life goes on until the next Christmas show.

Respected Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@libbyannE wrote:

@libbyannE  I spent from 9:00-1:00 gardening, came in for Valerie's show, went back outside, and came in half an hour before Jill's show to take a shower and make a potato salad for dinner.  It was a fun break, and now life goes on until the next Christmas show

I am glad you had a good day, too! Ah, summer, eh?

Honored Contributor

@libbyannE wrote:

And another good lesson. Many people have the ability to enjoy now AND anticipate/celebrate the future.

I understand many people don't like Christmas in July, or anything that falls outside their perfect calendar. But to insist that others shouldn't or can't enjoy the now as well as the future at the same time, that they can't partake of some off season fun and frivolity, while still living in the moment, must themselves lead a rather mundane existence.