Valued Contributor

Mixing holiday patterns -- need advice...

I need some advice from the decor experts on this board.  How do you feel about mixing black & white buffalo check with plaid?  This year, I plan to use a buffalo check tablecloth on my dining table, matching runners on the sideboard and tv cabinet and a couple of matching throw pillows on the couch.

Would it be too much to use red plaid napkins on the dining table with plaid dessert plates?   

Honored Contributor

Re: Mixing holiday patterns -- need advice...

There are a lot of people who successfully mix patterns. I'd say you should try it and see how you like it.

Esteemed Contributor

Lay it out and see how you like it.  It sounds fine to me but even the best of designers and visual type people change things around on execution.

I love plaid, houndstooth, paisley, dots, check, chintz, toile - all those often repeated motifs really seem to call up a sense of timelessness, for me anyway.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

I'm going to agree with others, to lay it out and see what you think. I find it help really define things to take pictures of it. For me, things really stand out in pictures that I don't always see with the eye.

I can say that just by description for me, it would be too much color difference and too much pattern for my personal tastes these days. 

The older I get, the more things need to be really matching or well coordinated to suit me. I've toned down the color and prints in my home drastically over the years. 

But it's all about what you like, and how you think it looks! Do it and post some pictures here! I'd love to see what it really looks like!

Esteemed Contributor

@Beauty MavenOooooh, I like where you are going with the buffalo check. I've been crazy for it this year, too. Just redid my kitchen. I agree with others to set it out and see if it pleases the eye. That being said, I'm kind of old fashioned about mixing stuff even in clothing. I would probably opt to use plain red napkins. Have fun !!!

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Valued Contributor

@Mominohio-- I do the same thing with taking pictures!  It's such a great tool to use when decorating.  You are right, the picture totally gives you a different view!!

Like you, I'm toning down my decor, especially for Fall.  For Christmas, I'm trying to use less red and more soft green, white and ivory.  The buffalo check plus plaid might be too loud.  Just trying to use what I have.  I've GOT to stop buying more and more each year.  Staying away from QVC would help!  Thanks for your advice.  I'll post pictures (if I'm brave enough!!)

Valued Contributor

Thanks @Sweetbay magnolia -- we love the same things, timeless traditional patterns!

Super Contributor

I am a big fan of mixing patterns and have it in my house. My rule of thumb is make sure colors match. If you are doing black buffalo check and the plaid has black in it I think you have a winner. Sounds gorgeous.....go for it. It's not like it's permanent. If you don't like it, change it.

Respected Contributor

I use Grandin Road as an example of using mixed patterns.

Respected Contributor

@Beauty Maven wrote:

I need some advice from the decor experts on this board.  How do you feel about mixing black & white buffalo check with plaid?  This year, I plan to use a buffalo check tablecloth on my dining table, matching runners on the sideboard and tv cabinet and a couple of matching throw pillows on the couch.

Would it be too much to use red plaid napkins on the dining table with plaid dessert plates?   

@Beauty Maven  If you keep the charger or dinner plate a solid color, I think it would be lovely.