Honored Contributor

Re: Mixing holiday patterns -- need advice...

@Beauty Maven wrote:

I need some advice from the decor experts on this board.  How do you feel about mixing black & white buffalo check with plaid?  This year, I plan to use a buffalo check tablecloth on my dining table, matching runners on the sideboard and tv cabinet and a couple of matching throw pillows on the couch.

Would it be too much to use red plaid napkins on the dining table with plaid dessert plates?   

@Beauty Maven   I bought this at zulily this week for a small table.

Red Buffalo Check Tablecloth

Honored Contributor

Here are two pictures that give a related look.  Not exact, but maybe an idea to help visualize.  

I think your idea would be striking and bold, @Beauty Maven but as others have said, try it out to see what you think.  It's not even as permanent as painting!

Christmas plaid table runner English tablecloth placemats or image 0

Image result for black and white buffalo check tablecloth  "tartan plates"

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Valued Contributor

Very pretty @mousiegirl -- love the red and black.

Valued Contributor

Thanks for the pictures @GingerPeach.  I really love that black & white runner, it appears to have a red pinstripe.  Very pretty!  My china (from my mother) is white with black & platinum rings around the edge.  I'll definitely need a solid color charger as @Regal Bee suggested.  Could be red, green or silver.  Like you and many have said, I'll have to try a little of everything! It's going to take trial and error, but I'll get there!

Honored Contributor

@Beauty Maven wrote:

Very pretty @mousiegirl -- love the red and black.

@Beauty Maven   I just realized you were speaking of black and white, all I saw was buffalo, lol.

Respected Contributor

I like mixing patterns.  With the black and white buffalo check, I think that contrasting it with red plaid is a great idea. I would also add a centerpiece incorporating red and white with maybe a red plaid bow on the table and red candles on the sideboard.

Respected Contributor

I love all the plaids too, and mixed some black and white buffalo pieces in with my mix of red plaids last Christmas and really like how it turned out .

A throw pillow, a stocking, a tree skirt, and some packages under the tree wrapped in black red and white paper, some ornaments on the tree in black and white plaid fabric.

I bet your combo will look nice ! Have fun decorating.

Valued Contributor

Sure do love these forums!  I just received the VPH clear Milk Jug with message.  Going to use it in my kitchen.  It's a little bigger than I pictured.  Because of this post I will be on the lookout to find a buffalo black plaid napkin to put underneath it!  I'm taking it to Hobby Lobby soon to see if I can find something with the frosted berries to put inside with the mini lights.  The plaid ribbon has a small sprig of greenery and frosted berries.  Might be too much but I'll find out soon.  Thanks everyone!  

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@coconut1818== That milk jug is so pretty, especially the clear.  If I wasn't so overloaded with stuff, I would have ordered it.  You'll definitely find black & white buffalo check napkins and accessories at Hobby Lobby.  Actually, I was in Walmart today and they had some really nice quality buffalo check ribbon (other ribbon as well).  

Anyway, happy decorating!  Post pictures please Smiley Surprised)

Valued Contributor

That sounds pretty @Azcowgirl.  I'd love to see pictures.