Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio and @froggy I've passed my mid-life stage quite a while ago; but, I've been mulling this for quite some time. Think of how our knowledge about household and garden items have refined over the years. I really enjoy giving close friends the recent "finds" I've made - like spurtles and Evo. I know most people my age say they want to get rid of things; but, I'm more inclined to add more useful and pretty items and get rid of the useless items.

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom,

I grew up in a family that firmly believed in wearing everything out until there was absolutely nothing left.  I well remember sheets with patches, and threadbare bath towels, that came in boxes of laundry detergent.   

When my grandmother and my aunt passed, they did not have a sheet or bath towel worth keeping!   I did gain a few iron skillets and a Club Aluminum chicken fryer.   

I flat out refused to allow that to happen in my home.   No worn out stuff here; I refused to repeat many of the things I’d seen my entire life.     

Valued Contributor

There was a play a long time ago (can't remember the name) but one part a lady goes into a dept store and says she needed to register some items. The salesclerk asked when her wedding was and she replied "I'm not getting married. I just need stuff". I thought that was so funny. i think the mid life shower is a great idea

cookin

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom

I remember one episode of S*x and the City in which Carrie was buying gifts over and over for friends' events but she had no giftable event of her own.

It all came to a head at a baby shower at which Carrie lost a pair of Manolos.

She then decided to register at Manolo Blahnik for that same pair of shoes in recognition of her "marriage to herself," or so I've read.

Your cool idea reminded me of that episode.   

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

I'm watching an old Shark Tank and this company it pitching their honeymoon website for guests to buy honeymoon experiences as their wedding gift.

Another part of their company is the Plumfund for other types of gifting.

I think we can all post our funds and have our own parties. LOL

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN